My hen is acting like a rooster?!

I have 17 hens and they are 18 weeks old. The head hen has been crowing like a rooster since she was 14 weeks old. Today when I went out to feed she was mounting another hen. I had read that sometimes in a backyard flock without a rooster the lead hen will sometimes take on the characteristics of a rooster but obviously can't fertilize eggs. She is starting to be a real bitch and I'm hoping that she will start to lay eggs and get over this. My question is: 1. Will she stop acting like a rooster once she is old enough to lay eggs? 2. Is there anything I can do to help her with this identity crisis? 3. What happens when and if I get a rooster?

Has anyone experienced this before?

P.S. I ordered all of the my chickens from Meyers and she was the extra chick they gave me so I could give her eggs away. So I'm pretty sure they wouldn't have messed up and given me a rooster?!
If it crows and mounts pullets, it is a rooster!

I guess I was hoping that it was just a hen trying to act like the rooster. In my research, I had read some articles that said it was possible. :D
That happens very rarely and nearly always when the hen is at the end of laying age. The ovary is either damaged or failing which messes up the hormones.

If one your age crows it is a rooster

Back
Top Bottom