My hen is causing a disaster

Layla_Chickens

In the Brooder
Apr 6, 2024
I have two separate coops, one is with my goats and the other is plain chickens. I have this hen (she is part silkie and another breed im not familiar with) she has always been really active and never has caused any problems until now. I stared seeing her being in the nesting box ALL day. When she does come out, I see something very weird she's all fluffed up (she looks "bigger") and starts flapping her wings. She makes my other hens scared, to the point where I have to move them in fear. She has alway been a good girl, she is just so obsessed with hatching and laying eggs. I have taken the eggs from her, I have fed her in the nesting box, I don't know what else to do. Please help!

I have two separate coops, one is with my goats and the other is plain chickens. I have this hen (she is part silkie and another breed im not familiar with) she has always been really active and never has caused any problems until now. I stared seeing her being in the nesting box ALL day. When she does come out, I see something very weird she's all fluffed up (she looks "bigger") and starts flapping her wings. She makes my other hens scared, to the point where I have to move them in fear. She has alway been a good girl, she is just so obsessed with hatching and laying eggs. I have taken the eggs from her, I have fed her in the nesting box, I don't know what else to do. Please help!
That's what broodies do. There's really nothing you can do about it and the rest of them should be used to it and get out of her way. I presume this is only once a day as that's all broodies ever leave the nest for, just once a day. Regardless of if she has eggs or chicks, she'll be broody for about three weeks.

Yes! I do have a rooster and she is currently with him, every time she leaves the nesting box he'll fertilize her. So yes the eggs are fertile. The only reason I dont let her eggs hatch is because her mixed breed has a tendency of being aggressive and not having good temper.
Nothing says she has to hatch HER eggs. If you have fertile eggs from other hens who have good traits you like, you can put those eggs under her instead.

I put one egg from my silkie and she immediately adjusted it under her. She seems happy and I haven't disturbed her or anything. Thanks for the idea, she has had a chick before and she took very good care of it, so i'm sure she'll be a good mom. When do you think I can introduce the chick to the others once its bigger? Or should I separate it from the other chicks? Thanks.
I let my broodies do the introducing....and I'd give her a couple more eggs. Single chicks have a rough life if something happens to mama or when mama decides she's done. Mama will (or at least should) protect babies. I have one who hatched out on the hillside last summer, brought babies into the coop when she left the nest. She was an only chick herself and mama was killed when she was 3 weeks. My Storm cloud is a fantastic mama.
20230811_190545.jpg
The babies abandoned her.....at several months. By then, my flock queen passed, and Storm, passing 8 older hens, took the crown. Prior, the older hens had been above her in pecking order. Broodies aren't to be messed with.

Welcome to BYC. I suspect many of us are going through this with our crazy broody ladies at this time of year.
Mine is like a bat out of hell and I think is training the others to do likewise!
How long has she been broody. She may be willing to accept the babies just about to hatch as her own. Maybe.

That's what broodies do. There's really nothing you can do about it and the rest of them should be used to it and get out of her way. I presume this is only once a day as that's all broodies ever leave the nest for, just once a day. Regardless of if she has eggs or chicks, she'll be broody for about three weeks.
Okay! Thats so good to know. she does leave the nest box and does her thing. I might give her a chicke when they hatch

I put one egg from my silkie and she immediately adjusted it under her. She seems happy and I haven't disturbed her or anything. Thanks for the idea, she has had a chick before and she took very good care of it, so i'm sure she'll be a good mom. When do you think I can introduce the chick to the others once its bigger? Or should I separate it from the other chicks? Thanks.
How many eggs do you have in the incubator, that are due to hatch at the same time?

Like JacinLarkwell said, just give her the eggs! Provided there aren't more than she can fit on like NatJ is asking about.

Much better to have a fully integrated lot of chicks and a happy hen than to spread them out. Make sure the broody area is safe for the chicks, that they wouldn't just fall out to the ground from high up or anything, and that it's safe from predators. Snakes and rats and even ants all go after chicks!
* We had a horrible time with fire ants here in FL, now we take the broody and her eggs to a safe and secure brooder days before the hatch, but make the move at nighttime so she settles quickly.

Back
Top Bottom