My hen is crowing and honking - respiratory problems or worms??

marthalazar

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
My hen recently started crowing like a rooster. I thought this was odd, but now I've noticed she's honking and sounding like she might have respiratory problems. I haven't seen any signs of runny nose or discharge and her come looks fine (maybe a little pale). She hasn't laid an egg in a while and she's had some very loose stools.

Please help me figure out what treatment course I need to follow. I don't know if it's respiratory or gape worms.

This particular hen has gotten very aggressive with me since one of our other hens died, so I'm not able to handle her easily.

Thanks so much!!

Couldn't a respiratory issue be treated with antibiotics??

I'll have my husband hog-tie her and I'll look in her throat. I still have a scar from when she pecked the bejesus out of my wrist... And yes, I still love her.

Quote:
Yes, the symptoms could go away but she could become a life-long carrier. I believe that most do.
hugs.gif

My EE hen honks like a duck when it's real hot out. All you can do is ensure there is shade, cool freshwater, perhaps a fan to circulate the air. If this is the case, dont give her antibiotics.

Quote:
I'll check out that post, but I've become pretty overwhelmed with different info. Her eyes aren't watery and there's no discharge from her nose.

Quote:
I'll check out that post, but I've become pretty overwhelmed with different info. Her eyes aren't watery and there's no discharge from her nose.

Don't get overwhelmed and stressed out
smile.png

No discharge, no runny eyes, I would say that you do not have a respiratory issue at this point. Do not give antibiotics. Have you checked to see if she is possilby egg bound? Is she showing signs of distress? Setting for long periods of time. Panting excessively? Is she stretching her neck out?

It may be just what Dawg says, it's hot out and she is being affected by it. You can put a little tub with some ice water in it out in the coop for her to get in.

Quote:
Her eyes aren't watery and there's no discharge of any kind. Her vocalizations sound weird though. Different from before. She does stretch her neck out sometimes and sometimes she sounds a bit hoarse. But seriously, she makes these crazy rooster crows in the morning. And I'm in NYC where no roosters are allowed!!

Quote:
Her eyes aren't watery and there's no discharge of any kind. Her vocalizations sound weird though. Different from before. She does stretch her neck out sometimes and sometimes she sounds a bit hoarse. But seriously, she makes these crazy rooster crows in the morning. And I'm in NYC where no roosters are allowed!!

There are occassions when there is no Rooster, that a hen will take on the traits of a Rooster. Generally the dominant hen out of all of them. I don't know much about gap worm, but you might look at that. Since she is stretching her neck, but they all do on occasion.

Back
Top Bottom