my hen is crowing.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by snazzyboots, Jun 22, 2016.

1. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    i had 2 turken hens and lost one 10 days ago. now the remaining one is crowing in the morning. it is very different from her egg song. how do i make her stop? i live in the city and can't have "roosters" im afraid my neighbors will complain.

2. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    She isn't a rooster.she is acting like one,but this isn't rare.I cannot think of anyway to stop her,maybe try getting another hen?

3. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    I have a few thoughts....
    It could be that the turken that died was more dominant, and without her presence she is now dominant, and displays her dominance by crowing.
    It could be that she is now lonely and sad, and crowing because she is upset.

Both of these could be solved by getting another hen.

4. Get a mother hen

5. Sorry,i ment to say get another hen

6. TheTwoRoos

TheTwoRoos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2015
    Actually,hens will take on male characteristics is called "Gender Reversal".Also,adding other hens may not help,butwill support her survival.When a chickens territory is threatened it can cause them to bring on new traits.

7. MyChickenCookie

MyChickenCookie Just Hatched

Jun 21, 2016
    I came here with a similar question, and somebody told me that in a flock of only hens a hen will take over the crowing of the rooster since there isn't one present. It is normally the hen that is first in the peck order of your flock who does this.

8. snazzyboots

snazzyboots Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    baltimore
    thanks all. i know she isn't a roo but my neighbors may not. i'm going to try to get another hen and pray they get along. she is kind of a *****. i was hoping she would go broody but no signs yet

9. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    Let's see a picture!

10. waddles99

waddles99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2013
    NJ
    You said she was a turken? Well, natural pecking order would suggest that you get a larger, feistier bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by