My Hen is limping

Kerrie Ann

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Berkley , Ma
Hello - My hen is limping I noticed it about a week ago. She was limping but very little. Today I noticed she was limping a little more she was hanging out in the durt but when I gave them all some tomatos she jumped right up to join the fun. I did pick her up and looked at her foot washed it the best I could with water did not see anything at all it almost seems like she she spained it.

Can some one tell me their thoughts on this matter. Oh she is eating and sleeping normal from what I can see.

It's great that her ankle isn't affected--it's a very difficult joint to heal if it's injured. Have you tried testing her leg up to her hip? Look at her hock especially--that joint goes through a lot of wear and tear over the years.

It's very possible she could have sprained it, that's not out of the question. If you see any swelling on any of her joints, there's little you can do but keep her healthy and try and find ways to keep her off her foot until it heals. You may have to confine her to the coop or a makeshift "hospital" so you can monitor her activity. Cold compresses may help, and a little vitamin and electrolyte boost couldn't hurt.

I'm sorry I couldn't be more help. Best of luck to you!

I had a production red that hurt her foot. She was just limping no signs of injury no swelling. I put her in a cage where she couldnt run around gave her epsom salt soaks and lots of yummy treats and within 2 weeks she was fine.

I went out this morning to check on her before I went to work she seemed worse than I gave her some grapes it seemed as she walked around more she was moving a bit better. She is still limping but eating and drinking fine. Should I wrap her leg some how? Someone mentioned to check her hip and her leg compleatly how do I do this? Do I just move her leg back and forth?

Use vetrap to wrap her foot, ankle, and leg. Also, is the bottom of her foot a little red and hot to the touch. It could be an early stage of bumble foot. This is a very serious problem. Treat it as soon as possible, if that is what it is. If not, it was probably sprained. To check the hip, just move aside the feathers and feel for any swelling or see if she pulls away when you are feeling it. If it is the hip that is bothering her, you can still use the vetrap to wrap around the upper leg and hip. Just don't put too much tension on the wrap.

Back
Top Bottom