My hen is not eating as much, lethargic, yellowish runny poo and stopped laying

Cat_me96

In the Brooder
Jun 19, 2018
I have a 8-10 month old Easter Egger hen is getting worse. It all started after she started laying eggs a couple weeks ago. She laid 3 pink eggs in 3 days. Our rooster got ahold of her and she's gone down hill since. One day she laid a blob. It looked like just the egg white. No yolk, no shell and was incased in a long tube like membrane. She hasn't laid since that blob. Around the same time she started getting yellow/whitish runny poo. Its not foamy or watery. No worms that I can see. She is very lethargic and barely eating as much. I have been pushing fluids, and making mash for her. She eats a couple bites and then stands there. I have also been giving her amoxicillin drops from a bacterial infection she had as a chick. I am almost out of the antibiotics. I held her yesterday and she is all bones. I don't know what else to do. We don't have a farm vet that looks at chickens within 300 mile radius. Last time she was sick when she was a chick I was charged nearly $500 for being seen for 5 min and a swab. I can't afford that. Anyone have any ideas??
This is Fred, my sick egger. Part of her beak broke off when she was about 1 month old.
Screenshot_20180609-094103.png

Last edited:
Have you tried giving her some hard boiled egg mashed up. Won’t solve problem but maybe at least get something in her till a another BYCer better with this can have some advice
I have been giving her a mash that consists of scrambled eggs, milk, bread, scratch and yogurt. Its like she really wants to eat, but has no appetite.

I would avoid the bread, milk altogether. And probably scratch for right now. I would stick with boiled eggs. There are some people one here that amaze me with knowledge. Wish I could be more help with this prob. @KikisGirls and @Farmer Connie are awesome. They’ve helped me when I at a loss

What was her diet before she went down hill?
Her diet has always been the same. They were on scratch the entire winter and this spring, with oyster shell and grit mixed in. When she started declining I went out and bought some crumble and started giving that to the hens. Along with the scratch

I would avoid the bread, milk altogether. And probably scratch for right now. I would stick with boiled eggs. There are some people one here that amaze me with knowledge. Wish I could be more help with this prob. @KikisGirls and @Farmer Connie are awesome. They’ve helped me when I at a loss
I don't use bread and milk every time, but have a couple times and went I did, it was bread soaked in milk mixed with the eggs. I have been trying everything to get her to eat more than a few pecks at a time

Sounds like she’s egg bound to me. Being lethargic and and barely eating are the top two symtopms. Get her crushed oystershell and other forms of calcium as well as a hot bath. I know that seems strange being it’s super hot (at least for me) but the heat helps relax muscles and keep her calm. It’s a good idea to feel above the base of her tail for andything that isn’t supposed be there, like a stuck, fully, or parshly formed egg.
If you find one you have two options.
1: try to gently massage out the egg with out breaking the shell, an egg that is trapped in a chicken is often more delacate so calcium will help the body toughen the shell.
2: have a vet or an experienced person remove the egg.
Being egg bound can end up killing a chicken. I have lost one to this before, but because of the experience I was able to prevent another member of my flock dying to this. All it took was a few bites of calcium and then she layed an egg in the middle of the yard with a super weak shell.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom