My hen seems sick with faded combs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Seansbrew, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Seansbrew

Seansbrew Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2014
    Mesa AZ
    [​IMG]

Hello all,

One of my hens has developed a very runny diarrhea (10 days). It looks green and watery and appears to have bits of undigested food in it . Historically she has not had diarrhea before.
    Also, her comb has taken on a very faded appearance. It is more of a pinkish orange with bits of white. The overall color in her face is pale as well.

She is still laying everyday and her eggs come out nice and clean. Her butt is not pasty and there are not any external signs of parasites.

She is not as active as she usually is. Just yesterday I found her lying on her side in the grass which I had never seen before.

I must also point out that I am in AZ and it is summer time which brings extreme heat.

She has lost a little weight, but all my hens seem to have done so since they started laying .

She is on laying feed augmented with small snacks of fruits vegetables and fresh meal worms from our meal worm colony.

They are given fresh water one to two times a day fortified with electrolytes.

Her crop is full at night and cleared out by morning.

And they are cooled with a swamp cooler on extremely hot days.

I will try to get a picture of her poo.

Any ideas on where to start? Am I worrying too much?

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    my only though on the runny poop is possibly since it is so hot she may be drinking much more then usual, though I doubt this is the real problem since it sounds like your others are fine.

3. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    I would try worming her just in case. It won't hurt although if you have access to a vet you can have a fecal test done to see. Most just worm once or twice a year...now is a good time as they have slowed the laying down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by