1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

my hen was killed

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by chickory, Mar 7, 2009.

1. chickory

chickory Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    blue ridge , georgia
    My beloved red the OEGB was killed by a falcon last monday. now i have only one chicken who is very lonely. i got four new bantams today but i guess it will be a while before they can interact with "mean dovey cooledge"

i miss my sweet red hen. she was the better layer, too.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

goodbye red. i will miss you.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2009
  2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

So sorry, it's always our favorites............. [​IMG]

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Sorry for your loss. [​IMG]

4. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Soooooo sorry! [​IMG] [​IMG] We lost an OEG to a fox before too. She was so sweet, was living in our living room before and would hop out of her cage and cuddle with us on the couch.

5. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    Oh chicory - I'm so sorry! It does always seem that our favorites are the ones who get killed. My sweet barred rock Winnie was killed by a fox the end of January, leaving my Minorca Penny my only, lonely hen. I felt so sorry for her I rehomed her so she could be with other clucks and just started over with new peeps. I hope your surviving chicken does well, and I am sorry for your loss.

6. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    I'm so sorry for your loss...

~Rebecca

7. chickory

Feb 16, 2009
    blue ridge , georgia
    thank you thank you thank you!

your kind words mean so much. we just barely missed her birthday -she would have been 5 years old on march 17th. in the back of our minds, we knew this day might come since we allow them to free range. when we are home they just pace back and forth in their coop yard until we let them out.

when we found her she was still warm. i had my husband leave her there and sure enough the falcon came back and flew away with her. i cant fault the falcon but my husband and i cried.

does anyone have any advice for helping my lonely hen? she has been hanging around with my dog all day today.

[​IMG]

8. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    It sounds like your girl had a good, long life freeranging. [​IMG] I would serieously get another chicken(s) for your other hen now.

9. chickory

Feb 16, 2009
    blue ridge , georgia
    well i bought some bantams on friday. but i know it will be months before they can hang together. (right?)

and, thank you

10. mjane

mjane Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    I'm really sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by