My Henny is sick

fhlstables

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jan 12, 2008
Hello. I have a sick Americauana chicken named Henny.

I found her last night huddled in the cubby hole where she never goes.
She was weak when I brought her out. I brought her inside.
She had caked on white poo all over her backside. I cleaned that up by cutting the feathers.

She has no goo on her eyes or face. Her eyes were closed last night.

Today she is alert but she is unable to stand up. She tries but she can't. She fights me when I try to force her to eat or drink. She's drinking a little and eaten just a bit.

Also, she laid one egg that was very soft shelled and quickly broke when I picked it up.

I can't find my needles so I can't give her some LA 200. The vet I spoke with said she could have pneumonia.

Any ideas what is going on with her?

What are you feeding your flock? And what did the vet say about treating pneumonia?
Don't force her to eat or drink. Just make sure she can get to her food and water without any effort. I'm curious to know what the vet said.

The vet just said to give her the la200 and keep her warm and dry.

I'm feeding them Layena and some scratch grains. I feed them any cracked eggs and also shells but that's about once a week. This winter they have been inside the coop and their run. They were out and about that day. I'm worried she got into something. The only thing i KNOW they would've gotten into was the cat food. They love get in with the cats during their feed time.

LOL You take the vet a "fresh sample" and they can check it for parasites. If you call and ask about a fecal float, they will know what you're talking about.
Edited to add: A vet visit with my vet is $35 and up, but if I just take a sample in, they test it for $15 or so... then I pay for whatever medications I need. So ask if you can just take a sample in and not bring the bird. Another thing, make sure your vet will treat the ENTIRE flock, and not just that one bird. Tell him/her that you need enough meds for your whole flock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom