My "hens" are acting suspicious. (all opinions welcomed!)

AnaD

Songster
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
N. Ca
Well, maybe they aren't. Being that I am new to the chicken thing I am not sure if the behaviours that they are exhibiting is normal or abnormal for hens. The the largest of my 8-10 week old pullets (give or take a week, lol
hmm.png
) are having staring contests and butting chest together often, thought they do sleep and eat together. Perhaps they are establishing pecking order? The lady we bought them from was not 100% sure about their sex and is willing to by back any rooster we might have back (wheew).
The birds in question are one Ameraucana, a Barred Rock, and a Black Star.
78206_sonny_cam_004.jpg

78206_aaaaasony_cam_028.jpg

78206_aaaaasony_cam_023.jpg

78206_aaaaasony_cam_027.jpg

Last edited:
I had one that would do that and I just thought it was the funniest thing. I too thought it was to establish a pecking order until the one who was doing it with everyone turned out to be a rooster.

Pretty sure the white one is a boy. Pullets will do chest bumps to establish pecking order though so not all hope is lost. I saw my girls do it a lot when they were younger it was funny to watch.

Typically at that age a pullet wouldn't have any red in her comb. It looks like all 3 of the birds in your 1st picture have red combs and are probably roos. If the black one is a black star then it has to be a pullet based on the color.

Oh! Right about the Black Star, I had forgotten that point. She is normally the one who breaks up the behaviour.

There are no "Ameraucana"'s in those photos. . .
wink.png
Ameraucanas are muffed/bearded, slate legged, pea combed birds that don't come in that color. That's either a Columbian Rock or a Delaware. And a boy.

The barred rock next to it is also a boy.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom