My "hens" are acting suspicious. (all opinions welcomed!)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by AnaD, Jan 28, 2011.

1. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    Well, maybe they aren't. Being that I am new to the chicken thing I am not sure if the behaviours that they are exhibiting is normal or abnormal for hens. The the largest of my 8-10 week old pullets (give or take a week, lol [​IMG]) are having staring contests and butting chest together often, thought they do sleep and eat together. Perhaps they are establishing pecking order? The lady we bought them from was not 100% sure about their sex and is willing to by back any rooster we might have back (wheew).
    The birds in question are one Ameraucana, a Barred Rock, and a Black Star.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    The barred rock is definetely a boy. Maybe the ameraucana too...[​IMG]

3. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I think the white one is a rooster, but i'm not sure.

4. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    I had one that would do that and I just thought it was the funniest thing. I too thought it was to establish a pecking order until the one who was doing it with everyone turned out to be a rooster.

5. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    Pretty sure the white one is a boy. Pullets will do chest bumps to establish pecking order though so not all hope is lost. I saw my girls do it a lot when they were younger it was funny to watch.

6. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    Typically at that age a pullet wouldn't have any red in her comb. It looks like all 3 of the birds in your 1st picture have red combs and are probably roos. If the black one is a black star then it has to be a pullet based on the color.

7. NixNoodleNumbat

NixNoodleNumbat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Australia
    I recently got three chicks just like the white one. Yours looks more boyish than my three(Who are eleven weeks)

8. AnaD

AnaD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    N. Ca
    Oh! Right about the Black Star, I had forgotten that point. She is normally the one who breaks up the behaviour.

9. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    There are no "Ameraucana"'s in those photos. . . [​IMG] Ameraucanas are muffed/bearded, slate legged, pea combed birds that don't come in that color. That's either a Columbian Rock or a Delaware. And a boy.

The barred rock next to it is also a boy.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by