my hens attacked my rooster; what should i do for the wound??

sohaa

Hatching
Aug 19, 2017
i have 18 hens and 2 roosters and usually the roosters will attack the hens but its never anything serious but yesterday the hens attacked one of my roosters and plucked feathers out on its back. then they pierced the flesh with their beaks and there was some bleeding and the wound looked very raw. we removed him from the coop and put him in a separate box. we put hydrogen peroxide on the wound twice yesterday and then once this morning. his right eye seems to be swollen shut as well. all the vets i've called around the area say they don't deal with roosters and was wondering if anyone could tell me any other solutions? can i get a topical ointment to put on the wound? should i wrap it with a bandage? what should i do for the eye? i will try to upload a picture soon! any help is appreciated!!

Screen Shot 2017-08-18 at 11.18.42 AM.png
This is a great product.
They also make a eye gel.
Keeping him away from the meanies until he heals would be a good idea too.
PLAIN Neosporin will work too.
BTW.
Welcome to Backyardchickens.com aka BYC! :frow
We are so glad you joined our flock.

Jump right in and make yourself at home.

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Sorry to hear that your hens beat up on the man! It happens sometimes though. It doesn't sound like the wound is too severe.
You will save a lot of money by self-treating the birds for minor injuries like this. And as you gain experience with you chickens, you will feel more brave and confident in nursing them.

The product Kiki recommended is great to start out with.
Chickens are pretty tough sometimes. Keeping the wound clean, and away from future pecks until it heals will help him out.

Back
Top Bottom