My hen's egg broke inside her & her crop is huge, HELP Please!

Sissy Howell

Chirping
Jan 24, 2018
Ohio
Hi, my beautiful hen Millie is about to turn 4 years old in a couple of weeks. She used to lay very well, but within the last year or so, maybe a bit longer, she stopped. Now, when she does lay (which doesn't happen very often, once in a blue moon), the shells would be very thin, almost like paper and the egg white liquid would be a bit thick. Now, yesterday I saw what it look like hemorrhoids when she was walking. After further inspection, I saw that goo was coming out of her vent and a bit of the shell of egg as sticking out. I pulled the shell out without a problem since it came out like paper, (thin shell and she has access to oyster shells) but she was still expelling a bit of the goo mixed with what looked the white of the poop. I brought her in and gave her a warm bath and cleaned her up. The vent looked good in the outside but I didn't see nor put my finger inside her vent to check if anything else was left inside. I also noticed that her crop was very big and hard as a rock. I decided to set up the "Millie Hospital" in the basement and she's down there now separated from the rest of the girls.
She spent her first night in the basement and this morning, she pooped a little and the poop looked good, but still her crop was big, not as huge as last night but it wasn't empty as it should be. I gave her a little bit of food to test her appetite and she got up and ate right away. Once I could see that she was eating, I removed the layer feed from her and I have her half on egg scrambled and she ate it all. After she ate it, I only left her with water. I have probiotics that I am intending to give to her as soon as I get home. This is the first time that I have encountered this issue so PLEASE, I would appreciate all the help I could get. I will appreciate it so much! Anything that can help my baby girl Millie =)

Last edited:
I’m so sorry that this has happened to your hen. I’ve read what to do in a case like this but I can’t find where I saved the article. I’ll tag some people who can help. @lazy gardener @azygous @chickens really @aart @Folly's place can you guys help?
I’m so sorry that this has happened to your hen. I’ve read what to do in a case like this but I can’t find where I saved the article. I’ll tag some people who can help. @lazy gardener @azygous @chickens really @aart @Folly's place can you guys help?

Thank you so much! I greatly appreciate it!

I think @azygous has had good luck using coconut oil to treat impacted/distended crops. As for the laying issue, if the shell was soft, there should not be a problem with shell retention, this time. It sounds like she's at the end of her laying days, and she's more likely to be having repeat problems. You might try giving her a good multi vitamin, since Calcium is not the entire end of the story when it comes to shell quality. You should also make sure your flock has access to insoluble grit.

Personally, I would also limit her food today, to see if the crop goes down by tomorrow. I can't remember whether encouraging water is good or counter-productive.

Hopefully the egg issue will resolve itself, but internally broken eggs can cause havoc.

@rebrascora and @TwoCrows can hopefully help here too

Back
Top Bottom