My hens have a visitor, what it is? UPDATE #2

Definatley a Chukkar. Very good eating bird!! They are native to the midwest and west. Maybe that will let you know if it is tame or not. Most wild ones are very skittish

My neighbor keeps those, they are Chukar partridge. He raises them with his chickens in the next pen, so maybe this little bird was raised this way also and now wants to make friends with yours since he is lost.
When my pheasant escaped his pen, he took residence with neighboring chickens down the road. He was also raised with chickens, in the same pen at times when I needed the space. I know they understand where there is chickens, there is food!
If you like him, you could let him stay
smile.png

Quote:
I don't have a net
sad.png

I went away for a little bit and came across the bird at the front gate to my run. I stopped about 12' from it, and it shortened the distance by half. Won't let me get any nearer, but here it is almost 2hrs, lol. Any clue as to gender?

All right, I caught it using an old light box from my photog stash. Worked great. Now what? I suppose I can put it in the ooh unused brooder for quarantine. Can they eventually share the run or even coop?

I have it set up in my old 2x4x2 brooder pen I built. I took a throw blanket to transfer the bird from under the light box to the enclosure. I need to do more research on the bird.

I live in Western Washington, and have a couple of chuckers that live with my chickens. They all free-range happily on 2 fenced acres with lots of shrubs, ferns, and trees. Somtimes the chuckers fly over the fence, but always come back. They seem to think that they're chickens. I'm hoping I have a male and a female, and am hoping for babies this spring!

Back
Top Bottom