My homemade incubator.

All the way around her eye as close as you can get to her eye without rubbing the eyeball. The area of eye closest to her beak looks like it might be stuck, hopefully it's not developed closed but just stuck, worth a try to find out.

Well she is still alive and active. I haven't seen her eat/drink on her own yet but I imagine if she wouldn't she would be weak. She has poo stuck to her butt, below her vent so not pasty butt. Still going to soak her bottom in some warm water to get it off.

After I cleaned off her butt..She spent a good hour or so talking loudly. We had to run her bottom over the sink...She did not like that er tiny bottom was all wet! hahah but he is all clean now, cleaned everyones brooder out today. Its amazing how much mess Lucky can make, I dont know how I did 7 chicks! LOL

Happy to hear she's doing good! So cute how they carry on about being bathed, mine do that too after a bath. I hear you about the mess, they're dirty birds, I can't wait til they're in the coop! I've got four in a brooder now, they're a month old, I've been taking them outside during the day now since the weathers been so nice, cut the cleaning down to once a day.

She turned 1 week yesterday and she passed away in my arms around 1 am this morning. Not sure what happened. I went to check on everyone's temps since I raised the lights as it was the 1 week mark so was reducing by 5* and she was laying one her belly but her head and feet were all weird and she didn't jump up and start tweeting when I made noises at her like I do every night before bed and mornings when I get up. I started to pick her up, she felt completely limp. But she was still alive! I put her back down carefully woke my Husband up letting him know something happened. We had to end her, I couldn't let her suffer. She deserved so much more. I didn't want her to be alone So I scooped her up, held her close. Husband went to look for a way to cull a baby chick. Before we had the chance to do anything she passed away in my arms. At least she didn't die alone and she knew love. I fought for her. I gave her a chance when most wouldn't. I knew her odds living a full life was slim but I knew she deserved to have the chance. I saw her start to really peck at the food and water dished 2 days ago. My thoughts of what happened is that she wasn;t gettign enough water/food. She never learned how to scoop her beak. I was hand feeding her but I guess It wasn't enough. RIP faith
hit.gif

:hugs
I'm so sorry you did right by the chick and good for you giving it a chance. You're right that most would cull immediately. There could of been other malformations internally too that prevented it from thriving. Best wishes on your next hatch, may you have many healthy fluffy bundles of joy!

Oh I know there wer probobally other issues. I honestly think she was just not right. Still hard though. I have 3 other hatches all due next week. one goes lockdown on Monday, one Thursday, one friday. Which means I'll have hatches Thursday- Monday! 4 silkies, 7 silkie crosses and 6 of my own flock. So we will have some freinds for Lucky :)

Lucky, now 3 weeks. Thinking "she" may be a "he" Only time will tell though :) Speckled Susses/Red Sex link. see how some of his fetehrs have a gold/red tint to them? pretty neat!

Have 4 Silkie eggs in the home made incubator due to hatch Thursday. Lockdown has started today :)

Back
Top Bottom