My journey towards chickendom!

lau.gif

After many delays due to weather, we finally got some halfway decent days! And after five feverish days of work, my chicken yard is done!

It's not pretty, haha. But it is secure! Every fence is at least 7ft tall, the back fence is more like 12ft. It was also cheap. The only thing I really spent money on was the coop and tarps. The chicken wire, hardware cloth, fence posts, wood, and various other things were all lying around either my house or my mom's. So it may not look pretty, but the chickens won't care!

I wanted them to have the tarp shelter for extra rain/windproofing for the coop, and also so they'd have a dry area aside from the coop itself in bad weather. I don't want them stuck in the coop 24/7 because they don't want to go out on snowy or muddy ground. Also if it snows again as much as it did a few weeks back, the coop would be buried!

I am SO excited. I'm picking up my 4 girls this weekend. My friend who is giving me the Wyandotte is selling some other girls, so I'm buying a Buff Orpington, an Ameraucana, and a Sex Link from her as well. I should get some good egg color variety and I know the ladies get along already! I have feed fermenting in the kitchen, fodder started, and all their bowls washed and ready to go. SO EXCITED!

After many delays due to weather, we finally got some halfway decent days! And after five feverish days of work, my chicken yard is done! It's not pretty, haha. But it is secure! Every fence is at least 7ft tall, the back fence is more like 12ft. It was also cheap. The only thing I really spent money on was the coop and tarps. The chicken wire, hardware cloth, fence posts, wood, and various other things were all lying around either my house or my mom's. So it may not look pretty, but the chickens won't care! I wanted them to have the tarp shelter for extra rain/windproofing for the coop, and also so they'd have a dry area aside from the coop itself in bad weather. I don't want them stuck in the coop 24/7 because they don't want to go out on snowy or muddy ground. Also if it snows again as much as it did a few weeks back, the coop would be buried! I am SO excited. I'm picking up my 4 girls this weekend. My friend who is giving me the Wyandotte is selling some other girls, so I'm buying a Buff Orpington, an Ameraucana, and a Sex Link from her as well. I should get some good egg color variety and I know the ladies get along already! I have feed fermenting in the kitchen, fodder started, and all their bowls washed and ready to go. SO EXCITED!
congratulations! Looks great :) we did the opposite lol. We got our babies the other day but we still have to build the coop. There's still WAY too much snow on the ground right now and more coming but we're slowing gathering the supplies we need. I'll tell you what though, this journey to chickendom is wonderful so far! We got 8 chicks so far, 4 easter eggers, 2 red sex links and 2 gold sex links. 6 more coming soon lol. 2 marans, and 4 wyandottes (1 blue laced red, 1partridge, 1 splash, and 1 blue or black).

Last edited:
The ladies are home! We didn't make it back until after dark, so no pics tonight. There will be loads tomorrow!

I love them already. I ended up with the Gold Laced Wyandotte (Sylvia), Buff Orpington (Gladys), Ameraucana (Tillie), and Black Sex Link (Berta). Gladys and Berta are 10 months old, Sylvia and Tillie are 8 months. Gladys and Berta are already laying regularly and Sylvia and Tillie should start any day now. So happy!

We got freezing fog tonight so I had to put Vaseline on their combs and wattles to prevent frostbite. They were absolute perfect angels for the process. <3

The ladies are home! We didn't make it back until after dark, so no pics tonight. There will be loads tomorrow!

I love them already. I ended up with the Gold Laced Wyandotte (Sylvia), Buff Orpington (Gladys), Ameraucana (Tillie), and Black Sex Link (Berta). Gladys and Berta are 10 months old, Sylvia and Tillie are 8 months. Gladys and Berta are already laying regularly and Sylvia and Tillie should start any day now. So happy!

We got freezing fog tonight so I had to put Vaseline on their combs and wattles to prevent frostbite. They were absolute perfect angels for the process. <3

WooHoo! How cool is that? Can't wait for pics of your ladies!
wee.gif

Gladys and Sylvia working up the nerve to come out of the coop.

And Gladys braves it!

Then I dragged them out, because I saw black spots on their combs. I had a total meltdown until I sent pictures to my friend I got them from and she assured me it was just scabs from them pecking each other. They're still figuring out their new peck order since they're in a smaller flock now.

Sylvia checking out the run.

Gladys glaring at Melon, my dog, who was behind a fence.

What's on top of the coop?

Tillie and the leftover food!

Berta eyeballs the water bowl.

Tillie and Sylvia hang out a lot.

I love how delicate looking Tillie's head is.

I LOVE THEM. Gladys and Berta are definitely top of the pecking order, they pick on the other ladies a little. I'm sure that will taper off as they adjust. Tillie is definitely the most shy, she's kinda just tentatively walking around and hanging out on top of the coop. She has been scratching around with Sylvia the last half hour or so though. <3

Congratulations. Beautiful birds. I notice you're losing bedding through the door, if you set a 1 x 6 across the opening, it should keep the bedding in.

Back
Top Bottom