My khaki Campbell went missing

kiwi_birdie

In the Brooder
Sep 29, 2019
I was reading a lot about disappearing ducks lately ever since last night and I've gotten really stressed. I have two khaki Campbell's and they're both very sweet. They're inseparable. When I got home last night (somebody else was caring for them while I was gone) I heard them quacking and decided I'd put them up in a few minutes. When I got home it was around 11 pm . Later when I went outside to check, I figured it'd be an easy task since they always quack when I get near them, but I ended up searching the whole backyard and staying up till 2 am looking for them. I live in the city so I doubt it'd be a fox or coyote, but we do have raccoons. I feel like a raccoon would have left behind some blood or feathers. Again, I doubt a bird would have done it. There's a hawk nest nearby but it never really circles around the duck area or tries, and whenever the ducks see them they go in their coop. They just got over their broody phase, and I don't think somebody would have taken them when the door was open and the light was on. When I heard them quacking it was this sort of quack I've heard before, sort of frightened? I'm terrified something happened to them I don't know what to do I told all the neighbors and they can't fly

There are coyote an foxes in the city same as in the woods. Letting your ducks stay out after dark is just asking for trouble. An owl could probably even carry one off but coyotes an foxes snatch an run sometimes not leaving a trace. Very sorry for your loss. I had one of my OEGB hens disappear In broad daylight a few weeks ago. She flew out of the fence no trace. Maybe once daylight you can look around better for prints or other signs

I just feel like I would've heard something. I was right next to the backdoor. We also live next to a busy street and I've never heard any so I don't think there would be any coyotes, but then again I can't be sure. I don't know if there are any owls near us. Do you think a coyote or fox could carry off two ducks at one time? They're both around one and a half years old

Yeah I've been looking around the neighbor Hood ever since they got lost, a lot of my friends live nearby and they're helping too

Back
Top Bottom