My kids forgot to feed or young chickens

You can also mix up Sugar, egg yolk, and molasses to give her a boost. Molasses alone can give a chick a boost, and adding it to the egg yolk will make it easier to syringe.

if you can energize her and she gets enough strength to eat she has a real fighting chance. Getting her to that point will be the hard part.

I’ve gotten her to eat a half a syringe of egg yolk, and gotten her to drink quite a bit of water. She’s starting to try and do the water on her own. I’ll keep this post updated. Thank you all so much for all the advice.
Yay! This is really great news! Try adding molasses. Either in its own syringe or to the egg yolk. Molasses is a great way to boost a chick. Add sugar to her water as well, yet another way to give her energy.
I hope she continues to improve. Its probably a good idea to think about another friend for her. The first post made it sound like you only had the 2? Is that correct?

Yay! This is really great news! Try adding molasses. Either in its own syringe or to the egg yolk. Molasses is a great way to boost a chick. Add sugar to her water as well, yet another way to give her energy.
I hope she continues to improve. Its probably a good idea to think about another friend for her. The first post made it sound like you only had the 2? Is that correct?
Yes we just had the two. I was already considering getting another so I may do that tomorrow since I plan to go by tractor supply. I will put sugar in her water and I don’t have molasses but I am going to try karo syrup still.

You should also keep a close eye on the rear. Stress can cause chicks to paste up quickly. Make sure to keep the vent clean and check it often while she's struggling. You can do it less once she appears to be out of the woods but I wouldn't stop for a while, just in case! Pasty butt can drop them quick and there is no saving them once they're past a certain point.

Yes we just had the two. I was already considering getting another so I may do that tomorrow since I plan to go by tractor supply. I will put sugar in her water and I don’t have molasses but I am going to try karo syrup still.
Thats great. Brown sugar has molasses in it. If you have that I might try that over the Karo.

No molasses! It can have a laxative affect. The chick needs hydration not flushing.

DIY Homemade Electrolytes, a little sugar water or just plain cool fresh water are fine.

Homemade Electrolytes:
Per 1 Gallon of water, mix:
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda​
  • 1 teaspoon salt​
  • 1 teaspoon potassium chloride OPTIONAL​
Once she's hydrated, then offer wet soupy chick starter. A little egg is fine too, but work on fluids!

We went on vacation for a week and our kids neglected to change the water and food out and we came home to one dead and the other barely hanging on. She is very weak and can hardly support her own weight and keeps closing her eyes but jerking herself back awake. I was able to get her to eat/drink a small amount from a syringe. What can I do? Or is it just too late to nurse her back?
Try giving her some molasses mixed with water. That'll give her a boost. ;)

Back
Top Bottom