My ladies are escaping!

CrazyFowlFreak

Pine Hill Farm
11 Years
Apr 24, 2009
WV
They're flying over the fence in their 40X150ft. fenced in "free range" area. They're laying their eggs in the brush RIGHT NEXT TO THE DARN FENCE!!! They are fed and are little piggies, they have TONS of room to free range and feed on bugs, tall grasses. seeds, etc. They sleep on the top of their run, not inside the coop (even in the coldest days of this past winter), they only lay in the coop. Now they're flying out to lay eggs and hang a runabout and then back in for bedtime. Why? What can I do? Should I lock them in the coop? Clip all of their wings? What? I am ready to blow my top. We spent over $800 fencing in an area just for them!
barnie.gif
he.gif
D.gif

Clip their wings. But only clip one because otherwise they will be balanced again and might be able to fly out. The other option is a roof, but that would cost more money.. I'd say clip the wings. Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

my chickens rarely sleep in their coop also. you just have to take the time to either lock them in the coop or not worry about it. As for them flying over the fence, maybe dont feed them while they are outside of the fence but once they get back give them lots of feed and entice them with a few worms or yogurt.

Back
Top Bottom