My Leghorn Experience

Apr 19, 2023
Good morning :jumpy

I have two leghorn chicks I have raised since 3 days old, they are approaching 6 weeks tomorrow.

They were both raised the same as the rest of my flock, with a lot of time spent bonding one on one and hand-feeding, but they are still so skittish!
I purchased them as pullets, but only one turned out to be a pullet, and the other a cockerel (Big ol red comb).

The cockerel is very nippy, and the pullet just refuses to be touched.
I'm probably going to end up rehoming them both.

Does anyone have experience with Leghorns behaving this way?

I'm sorry. Leghorns are known to be skiddish. I've had a number of skiddish birds/breeds, and friendliness is really up to the individual chicken. Some chickens will be terrified of you no matter what you do, and others will be curious and friendly, regardless of breed. Looks like you got the short stick on these.

I rehomed one Prairie Bluebell (skittish Leghorn mix) because it was too skittish and never regretted it. If I can't touch them, I can't doctor them when they're sick and that's a risk for the rest of my flock.

I'm sorry. Leghorns are known to be skiddish. I've had a number of skiddish birds/breeds, and friendliness is really up to the individual chicken. Some chickens will be terrified of you no matter what you do, and others will be curious and friendly, regardless of breed. Looks like you got the short stick on these.

I rehomed one Prairie Bluebell (skittish Leghorn mix) because it was too skittish and never regretted it. If I can't touch them, I can't doctor them when they're sick and that's a risk for the rest of my flock.

That's exactly how I feel about it!
I feel it's so important to be able to at least handle them in cases of needing to move them and/or applying medicine.

I'm sure there are friendly Leghorns out there, but it's as you said, probably didn't get fortunate with these two.

I have (15) 11 week old chicks that need to get out of the run during the day but 9 of them are brown leghorns so they're still separated from the flock with wire.I'm afraid I'll never get them back in the run if I turn them loose to free range especially if the hens chase them.

Good morning :jumpy

I have two leghorn chicks I have raised since 3 days old, they are approaching 6 weeks tomorrow.

They were both raised the same as the rest of my flock, with a lot of time spent bonding one on one and hand-feeding, but they are still so skittish!
I purchased them as pullets, but only one turned out to be a pullet, and the other a cockerel (Big ol red comb).

The cockerel is very nippy, and the pullet just refuses to be touched.
I'm probably going to end up rehoming them both.

Does anyone have experience with Leghorns behaving this way?
Leghorns have been bred to be Egg Laying machines not Pets. Silkies are the pets

Leghorns have been bred to be Egg Laying machines not Pets. Silkies are the I pets
I'm waiting until mine are old enough to lay so I can train them to use nest boxes before releasing them.(I currently have a flock of (8) hens). I ordered (13) pullets in April but only (9) are brown leghorns (2) welsummers and (2) blue egger(ameracaunas) Currently I don't have a rooster in my flock so I'm hoping the (2 ) cream legbar cockerels I have will make good roosters. They'll have (21) hens

Last edited:
I love my leghorns. we must have gotten lucky because they are so sweet. One will jump in my lap for cuddle time.
We had leghorns when I was just a kid still living at home! We couldn't even touch ours!Lol These eat out of my hand but won't let me pick them up.They're eleven weeks old.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom