My leukemia's back.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by donrae, Nov 9, 2014.

1. hbhoffman

hbhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2014
    md
    Thanks! Good news! Princess Blue the cream legbar showed up this morning! Not sure where she was hiding but in a fenced 1/2 acre with trees, old dog house, coop and pen there are places to hide. Which is what we wanted in case of an attack. They are at a friend's house because of my HOA so this weekend the electric fence is going up and live. I am hoping that will deter any further attacks and in the county they are in, it is shoot first and ask questions later. Everyone in that family knows how to use a gun. :) If that doesn't work then I will need to borrow Arvid to scare it away!

How are Blooie's girls?
    Rachel, I vote pound cake and angel food cake! That uses a lot of eggs. And I also vote trading a wonderful baking friend eggs for those items.

Last edited: May 29, 2015
  2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Glad she turned up! You can not only borrow Arvid, you can keep him! Dude still makes me nervous!

I dunno if I'd eat a pound cake or an angel food cake made with a bucket of eggs of unknown ages, hb! I figure if they feed them to the pig, then the bacon would already have eggs IN it and I could get a healthy breakfast of bacon and eggs by eating just the bacon - a whole frying pan full all to myself! Hark...what was that sound....oh, it was just my arteries hardening at the very idea of eating as much bacon as I always seem to want!

The girls are fine, thanks. Ash just got out of the hospital. She had a low grade fever and neutropenia. Her ANC, the lab that shows how prone she is to infection, dropped from 1176 to 125. She stayed 5 days until her number was above 500 and she had no fever for 24 hours. She's home now and darn glad to be there!

Jenny and Kendra are also doing fine. Kendra still has a nasty cough, but it seems to come only when triggered. If she tilts her head back too far (she does this when she gets to "touch" the ceiling fan, which she loves doing for some reason) she'll cough, so we've been trying to distract her when she points at it and says, "Touch". Also laughing brings on a spell, but at least she's laughing. Jenny is learning her diet and feeling better as well.

Your giggle of the day. This was taken last summer. Her devotion to the fan hasn't changed - just now we have to hold her up so she can do it.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    That's a great giggle! [​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Blooie--glad the ladies are all doing better. I remember when I lived and breathed by that darn ANC, it controlled my life! I run around 1500 now, so not as much an issue but they still keep an eye on it.

When I was a new nurse I worked with a Respiratory Therapist we called Mountain Man Jack. He firmly believed laughter was the best way to keep folks' lungs clear. Just going in a room and telling them to cough and deep breathe, or suck on the spirometer, was boring. So he'd go in and start telling jokes, pretty soon the patients would be coughing all that crap out of their lungs and loving him at the same time! I learned so much from him.

The mystery eggs are all going to the animals, just to clarify. But, I'm still getting a crapton of eggs every day. I was going to offer to replace blue or olive eggers for hb, but you're too far away. I need to get an ad on CL to get rid of some birds, but first I like to pull them to the little cage just to confirm they're actually laying and not freeloading. I'll be getting rid of a breeding set of Dark Cornish (4 hens and a rooster), a breeding set of blue/green eggers (3 blue hens and one splash hen, plus your choice of a blue barred or splash barred rooster), a partridge rock hen, a hefty Wyandotte/barred Rock mix hen, and misc barred EE hens if anyone's lurking here and close to my area (Southern Oregon). Feel free to PM me.

5. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Again. this 'not neighbors' thing is a downer.

I'd love to have olive eggs. or eggs.
    (My ladies are six.)

6. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Me too! That's what I'm hoping for out of these eggs that Agatha is brooding. Our roo is an Easter Egger and at least 4 of the eggs she's got are Cuckoo Marans. I don't know for sure, but I've been told that combination is more likely to give me Olive Eggers! Fingers crossed!

7. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Yes - and, depending on the roo, possibly sex linked chicks as well.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Well boogers.

I have to go back in the hospital. Not back to OHSU, thankfully, but the one 30 min away. this stupid fluid in my legs has finally caused some stasis sores and my legs were warm and red when I woke up this am. they got me into the office and talked about doing outpatient antibiotics, but the one they thought was the best choice is a close cousin to one I'm allergic to. So, back to the hospital for me. I knew this was possible, and all along I've said I wouldn't fuss if they needed to re-hospitalize me, but it's really hard leaving home so soon. He said it may only be for a night, or maybe two, depending on how I respond to the antibiotics and diuretics. Yeah, I know what diuretics mean, especially when I'm not going to get them until late afternoon---it means I'll be up peeing all night long! Anyway, God is good and He's got my back in all this. Gotta praise Him in the storm as well as the harvest, right?

9. 3goodeggs

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    Well, feet up -and be a good kid, okay?
    [​IMG]

10. Blooie

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    This isn't a set-back, it's a set-up! This few days will help in setting you up for a stronger, healthier autumn, right? Prayers winging!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by