My leukemia's back.

@hbhoffman , welcome back! Sounds like your trip was a great success. Sometimes things like that give more to the giver than the recipient...you must have gotten a lot out of it.

Bunnylady,
I sure can identify with your brother's experience!
on another note, I realized Sunday evening that I had gone a week without vegetables, bread, butter, cheese, eggs and milk! 8-0 Something I didn't expect. lol.

Bunnylady,
I sure can identify with your brother's experience!
on another note, I realized Sunday evening that I had gone a week without vegetables, bread, butter, cheese, eggs and milk! 8-0 Something I didn't expect. lol.
Well shoot, what else is there?

(That's pretty much my grocery shopping list...except for the eggs...and you left off the ice cream.)

Thanks for asking, guys. I'm slowly improving. Still coughing quite a bit. Took some EO lemon and honey last night and it was the first night I've slept without having multiple gaging choking coughing fits. still sleeping sitting up, and coughing still not under control, even during the day. But, I'm hopeful that I'll improve enough that I can go. Good news: our entire team is now funded. So, I won't have to dig into savings to complete the trip. Still a lot of supplies to buy, including soil test kit b/c the kit from Extension service didn't come through. But, now... when I sell eggs and chicks, the money can go to buy feed, or kick back into our depleted finances. I still covet your prayers for healing for me. Also, for hubby while I'm gone, as he'll be managing the animals, gardens, as well as working full time, with 2 hours commute/day. BTW, he is so NOT a farmer, and such a blessing for picking up the slack while I'm sick and for me to go on this trip.

"...you left off the ice cream."
Forgot that and salt, pepper and junk food of any kind. Lol. But I did enjoy greatly rice and beans, roasted chicken, enough bottled water to fill a toddler swimming pool(!), awesome mangoes and a bite of pineapple and incredible coconut flan!
Lazy gardener,
May God's Healing power be greatly manifested in your body in the next couple of days! May MUCH grace & wisdom be poured out on your husband while your away. And thank you God for full funding!

On a chicken note, does anyone have experience with worms? Are they contagious/zoonotic for people? My youngest special needs daughter who loves her chicks has heart and other health issues. I don't want to cause further health issues. Can she handle her girls? Suggestions to rid the hens of worms? And I am in the process of buying chicks to put under my broody cream legbar... is that now a no go?

Last edited:
I worm my chickens in the spring before they start laying good. You have to with hold the eggs on most wormers, or I do at least. Some say that it doesn't affect the egg, but I'm not taking chances. I cook them up and feed them to our bird dog. So, in a sense, she is getting wormed at the same time.

I don't think the worms the chickens get are contagious to humans, but I could be wrong.

@lazy gardener , prayers for you and family.

@donrae , continued prayers for you. Gotta get ready and get to work. You all have a great day!

hb--what an amazing trip! How wonderful to touch so many lives and present the Gospel. Folks I know who go on mission trips are always on a buzz for about a week after, combined with the culture shock you mentioned. It's amazing how most of us would not consider ourselves wealthy at all, but there's simply no comparison to the standard of living.

lazy--continued prayers for healing, and I'm so glad you got funded! Those darn coughs can hang on for so long after a respiratory bug and the interrupted sleep is really a bear.

Blooie--I finally bought a heating pad to make a brooder cave! I've read the first part of your massive thread, just wanted to know if you'd make any changes now that you've been able to field test it a while? Anyone else use these and have suggestions? I decided to start collecting eggs yesterday for incubation and got a grand total of 2
tongue.png
. I know it's the blessed heat, but come on ladies!

Rachel, I have to be honest and say that I wouldn't change a thing. People on the thread have come up with fantastic modifications that they are very happy with, and they eagerly shared their set-ups, ideas and photos. But for me the simplicity of just the heating pad, the wire frame, and the straw and/or towel is what I'll continue to rely on every time chicks arrive at Oleo Acres. Did you see the videos of the progression of the chicks? Bear in mind that the outside videos of the Littles in the outside brooder, as well as the Tinys a couple of weeks later, were all taken in temperatures ranging from 17 degrees for the first chicks to 26 for the second batch. Brooded outdoors in the run, not the coop, and integration was a snap.

I may have to eat my first words here....if I did think about changing anything that would be to put the pad on the inside of the frame rather than on top, and wrap the entire assembly in a pillowcase. Someone lost a chick because it got caught between the wires of the frame. Other than that, I am very happy with the results I got, and others who have adopted the system seem to concur.

Keep us posted on the collecting and incubating!!

Adding my prayers for my good friend LG too! I know this trip is very special!

Hb - you are an inspiration!

Morning everyone! Hope today finds you all well.

@lazy gardener , continuing to send get well vibes to you!

Rachel, hope you get more eggs today. Our girls have slowed down a bit with all the heat too...lazy things, lol.

Back
Top Bottom