My list. Show me the flaws.

ooh good advice. I'll hang on to the small one to keep in the crate, and get a big one for the barn.

Good reminder about the extra bulb too...

yuckyuck.gif

What is the draft paper for? (to cover the shavings the first week or to draw plans for the coop?)

lol, it's draft stopping paper
smile.png
It's for the walls of the cage to keep the chooks from getting a chill
smile.png

Oh, and add 10 (5 i'm keeping myself) Black East Indie ducks. :p

draft stopping paper = brooder guard

They will peck it to pieces. It is corrugate, rather flimsy cardboard paper. You will be better off clipping a towel or old blanket around the outside of the dog crate to contain the warmth from the heat lamp. Just keep everything away from the bulb. You don't want a fire hazzard.

I have a plant hook in my kitchen ceiling that I sometimes have a houseplant hanging from. I set up my brooder in the kitchen and hang my heat lamp from a chain on the hook. I can easily adjust the height and regulate the heat without anything coming into contact with it.

Just for the record, I think galvanized waterers suck (and I hate the word suck) We spent a fortune on a big one and the stupid thing leaks all the time. I like the plastic 3 gallon ones.

Better add an air freshener. They stink if you keep them in the house, and kick up dust like nobodys business.

Test out your brooder before putting anything in it. I have 11 chicks in my plastic storage brooder, and All I needed was a 100 watt light, heat light was too much. They are a week old now, and I think I need to go down to 75.

I would start with the little 1 quart waters for at least the first week. The 1 gallons are too big and you don't want your chicks getting pushed into the water and chilled.

Good idea about the plant hook. I have a place for one.
The babies will be in the laundry room for now- the lovely tide-fresh smell may override the chicken stink
wink.png
If not, i'll just change the bedding more often.

Quote:
Don't worry, it'll be fine! And if you need something bigger you wont need it right away, since ikkle chicks in a big dog crate should be fine. Relaaaax, and just be excited
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom