My little garden helpers! *Pictures*

AnimalsComeFirst

Songster
8 Years
Jun 6, 2011
Hugging a Chicken
I have decided that I am going to start a compost pile in our garden.... and my backyardchickens are going to help alot! I set up a pen that encloses our garden, put a bowl of water and food in it, threw some spinach, moist leafs, strawberry tops and some mushy banana's in the pen and brought the girls in! They enjoyed kicking and scratching around the leaves and veggies and fruit... and whats even better - whatever they don't eat decomposes into my garden, and when they leave their special little *presents* on the ground, I don't have to pick it up. :) At the end of the day, I mixed it all in and presto! A healthy, organic garden is soon to come!

Lil Lucy sunbathing

Gloria giving me a stink eye

Nellie watching for hawks

Best friends sitting together

Penny posing for pictures

Gloria with her dirty mouth saying, "Yeah, i'm a diva, got a problem with that?"

That's a great idea! Amazing chickens.
big_smile.png

Look at Gloria's dirty beak. She's been extra busy helping you start your compost pile.

As a side note, I was composting for years. Long before I got chickens. And I can say that composting and chickens go together hand and hand. Be sure to toss their droppings into the compost too.

Look at Gloria's dirty beak. She's been extra busy helping you start your compost pile.

As a side note, I was composting for years. Long before I got chickens. And I can say that composting and chickens go together hand and hand. Be sure to toss their droppings into the compost too.

Yup, she was busy *helping*..... (by helping, I mean she was busy wiping her mouth on the ground... it simply was not acceptable for Gloria , and she had to *clean* it on the ground.) And by *clean*, I mean make more dirty.
tongue.png

Yes, I have been tossing their poop in it, thats why I had them out digging in it, mostly.
wink.png

Shut your dirty mouth Gloria *Snaps* lol

I like the term "special little *presents*" I think I will have to call them that from now on.
clap.gif

LOL - yup, her beak is almost always messy looking.... I think she likes it that way cause it gives her a "diva" appearance....
hide.gif

Yes, I made up that term.... its a more.... less-disgusting way to say it.
sickbyc.gif

At least your hens wipe their beaks on the ground. Mine walk over and wipe them on ME. Apparently, my soft jeans around the ankles is much preferable to wiping them on the ground.

Very cute pics! My hens love to garden. I spent yesterday working compost into the garden and the hens were right there helping to spread it around and dig it in. All was good till one found a toad and it must have spit something nasty into that hen's mouth because she spent about an hour wiping her beak and shaking her head after dropping it LOL.

Back
Top Bottom