My little garden helpers! *Pictures*

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by AnimalsComeFirst, Feb 23, 2012.

1. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken
    I have decided that I am going to start a compost pile in our garden.... and my backyardchickens are going to help alot! I set up a pen that encloses our garden, put a bowl of water and food in it, threw some spinach, moist leafs, strawberry tops and some mushy banana's in the pen and brought the girls in! They enjoyed kicking and scratching around the leaves and veggies and fruit... and whats even better - whatever they don't eat decomposes into my garden, and when they leave their special little *presents* on the ground, I don't have to pick it up. :) At the end of the day, I mixed it all in and presto! A healthy, organic garden is soon to come!

Lil Lucy sunbathing
    [​IMG]
    Gloria giving me a stink eye
    [​IMG]
    Nellie watching for hawks
    [​IMG]
    Best friends sitting together
    [​IMG]
    Penny posing for pictures
    [​IMG]
    Gloria with her dirty mouth saying, "Yeah, i'm a diva, got a problem with that?"
    [​IMG]

2. Gabrielle

Gabrielle Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2011
    That's a great idea! Amazing chickens. [​IMG]

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Such adorable helpers! [​IMG]

4. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Nature's little roto-tillers :)

5. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Look at Gloria's dirty beak. She's been extra busy helping you start your compost pile.

As a side note, I was composting for years. Long before I got chickens. And I can say that composting and chickens go together hand and hand. Be sure to toss their droppings into the compost too.

6. Englishjodes

Englishjodes Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2012
    Victoria, Australia
    Shut your dirty mouth Gloria *Snaps* lol

I like the term "special little *presents*" I think I will have to call them that from now on. [​IMG]

7. AnimalsComeFirst

AnimalsComeFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Hugging a Chicken

Yup, she was busy *helping*..... (by helping, I mean she was busy wiping her mouth on the ground... it simply was not acceptable for Gloria , and she had to *clean* it on the ground.) And by *clean*, I mean make more dirty. [​IMG]

Yes, I have been tossing their poop in it, thats why I had them out digging in it, mostly. [​IMG]

LOL - yup, her beak is almost always messy looking.... I think she likes it that way cause it gives her a "diva" appearance.... [​IMG]

Yes, I made up that term.... its a more.... less-disgusting way to say it. [​IMG]

8. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    At least your hens wipe their beaks on the ground. Mine walk over and wipe them on ME. Apparently, my soft jeans around the ankles is much preferable to wiping them on the ground.

9. KrazyKhick

KrazyKhick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 5, 2012
    Penny is adorable!

10. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    Very cute pics! My hens love to garden. I spent yesterday working compost into the garden and the hens were right there helping to spread it around and dig it in. All was good till one found a toad and it must have spit something nasty into that hen's mouth because she spent about an hour wiping her beak and shaking her head after dropping it LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by