My little Nando just will not grow! Update: He's found a forever home!

I HAVE AN IDEA!!!! get some day olds, seperate her from her hatch mates and stick her in with the day olds. she wont get trampled and if they outgrow her...GET MORE BITTIES!!! problem solved
big_smile.png

mother o' chicks72 :

I HAVE AN IDEA!!!! get some day olds, seperate her from her hatch mates and stick her in with the day olds. she wont get trampled and if they outgrow her...GET MORE BITTIES!!! problem solved
big_smile.png

x2 I couldnt agree more! Chicken Math strikes AGAIN!!
lol.png

Give her time.

I got my EE from the feed store with another EE, a BR, and a RIR on March 20th. The BR is looking like a roo and the RIR died, but that's not the point right now. When we got them, the EE was just the same as the others. Right now, she's grown a bit but barely at all. The other EE is feathered out, including the head. The BR is getting most of his head covered, the back of the head is all that's fluffy now. This little EE feathered sloooooowly. So slooooowly. She finally grew pins on her back about a week ago, before that I started to notice her tail getting a bit longer. Now she has a small "fan" of feathers on her back. Yes, feathers! Not pins, feathers! A couple days ago, I noticed pins on her head. Yay!!! Today, I saw that the pins on her head were turning into feathers, spreading out. They stood out because being an average EE, she had a chestnut head that feathers in gold.

So hold tight, she will likely pull through.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I'm in the South Bay of CA. The three are living out in my yard in an unheated coop. I think Nan will be fine in the coop as long as the others don't use the roost; they can snuggle up together. She might be able to fly a short ways up, so maybe you could make her a ramp or ladder?

mother o' chicks72 :

that is not a silver laced wyandotte, it is a blue laced red or red laced blue wyandotte. can't help with her size problem though
sad.png

Dumb me. The hen that hatched her is my SLW, but yes, Nan is a RBLW. Thanks for the clarification. I actually bought one more chicken than my current coop can handle, so I don't really want to get any more for a bit. I guess I can hold tight and see if she makes it or not. If she lives and ends up tiny I'll buy her a bantam buddy I guess. Don't want to buy more than the coop can handle right now. We are city dwellers and I already have 4 adult hens! 8 in all.

She may have to be a house chicken as there is no way she could navigate that big ramp and roost. Plus she would always try to stay with the bigger ones and if they were hanging out in the cold, she would freeze. *sigh*

Hope she can handle having a 25 year old turtle, a chihuahua and a cat who wants to kill her as housemates! (Really, I'll keep her safe)​

I just asked the SAME question!

I have a black silkie runt. Zero. She is doing fine, she is feathering out, fiesty little chick!!! Everyone in the flock is super sweet to h er, and she has grown...just not as much of the others. She is about 1/2 to 1/3 the size of my white silkies. She looks like a dayold compared to the EE's.

I am worried about her being snake food when we move them all outside!

Back
Top Bottom