My little Nando just will not grow! Update: He's found a forever home!

When I got my Teeny Roo he was the tinest banty i had ever seen and he grew up with reg size production reds and never seemed to grow until he reached around 6 weeks old and all of the sudden he grew a foot and developed the reddish comb and waddles all the the span of a week. when he was younger i made steps so he could get to the feed and water and but small dowel rods on the ramp so he could come up and down now he's flying to edge of the brooder and likes to snuggle up with my biggest red girl and he even chest bumps my black blue andalusian roo

Teeny Roo at 1 week old

Teeny Roo at 7 weeks sitting on the edge of their brooder next to Fiesty they were the same size when we brought them home

mother o' chicks72 :

Quote:
ooh he's pretty! is he an oegb?

I believe so he's so pretty when he struts around and just as docil as can be i've also got younger one that i'm hoping is a girl and if "she" is anything like he was it's going to be a few more weeks before i'll know​

We're status quo around here. She's still ever so tiny and the others are so ready to yuk it up in the old coop outside. I'm thinking about biting the bullet and installing heat lamps upstairs and downstairs in the coop. Then she can be locked upstairs with the little girls at night and have a warm place to go when they're out during the day. I'll have to hand carry her up and down the ramp though.
I wish we would warm up a bit here in the Pac NW. It's been a brutal spring. If it was windy enough, she would still freeze. I guess I'll leave them in the brooder until the last possible moment. That will be another week or two tops. Hopefully she will have decided to grow or go by then!
The alternative is, I will have the worlds first "pocket chick" as the cat will make quick work of her in the house!

Truth be told, I wouldn't be surprised if she dies quickly if separated from the others and I wouldn't be surprised if she died quickly outside from exposure even with a heat lamp. She's still covered in fluffy down. I guess I'll decide what to do in a week or two..

Suzeqf: Thanks for the pics, hopefully she will decided to catch up one of these days too! Your birds are beautiful.

Are you sure she's still all fluff? Check her chest, wings, head, and back for pins. Okay, maybe not the head, since that grows last. It might not be too obvious at first, but once the pins come in, she'll feather out quickly.

Quote:
Checked her all over today. No pins!! She's all fluff, minus a few wing feathers and a tiny tail. My permanent baby.. It was finally warm enough to go outside for a few minutes. She had a blast digging through the dirt with the big girls. Gotta love little Nan.

Now she has what looks like a broken toe. It might be an injury from the others, but it might be her deteriorating condition. Not sure, but injury is likely considering how big the others are getting. Obviously I need to get her out of there soon. I have to find a feather duster first so she has a buddy to hide under.
Anyone have advice as to what to do with the toe? It seems to be hurting her. Tape it or leave it?

It's the inside digit on her right leg. Her leg coloring looks off too. Just a matter of time...
75545_img_0157.jpg

Last edited:
Poor little thing, I hope she pulls through and starts to grow! have you given her any vitamins? I would give her some poly vi sol baby vitamins (without iron) in her water. It may help the crooked toes.

Back
Top Bottom