My little Nando just will not grow! Update: He's found a forever home!

glad she's growing and glad you didn't cull!!!
smile.png

Nan 15 weeks. She and her little buddies are in their own coop (the grow out coop). Her hatch mates have moved to the big ladies coop. Last night seemed to go well. I've been letting Nan and the littles out with Nan's hatch mates whom we call 'the teenagers' and they do pretty well together. The teenagers chase them around a bit, but Nan will defend herself when she needs to. She's not afraid to stare them down and give back a peck. It is only for short periods of time and supervised though. I did see then teens roll Nan once and it scared me.

Her feather situation remains curious. She has big long feathers on the front of her wings, short feathers in the middle, and deformed feathers on the back edge. I've decided she's a red blue black unlaced wyandotte. RBBUW? There's a new breed for ya!

I worry about getting rid of the little ladies she's with now as I am raising them for my sister. I can tell they see Nan as 'mother' and when I remove her for special feeds or to take a couple of pictures they scream out for her. They will miss her when they head off to my sisters in a few weeks.
I plan on going to the Corvallis, Ore poultry swap in October and trying to find her a bantam/serama friend of some sort to live with. I don't think my older ladies will treat Nan right and I want her to have a buddy to call her own. First, I need to make sure she's a pullet! I think she is, but it's hard to tell.

Nan the baby eaglet 15 weeks:
75545_img_0449.jpg

75545_img_0452.jpg

I always wanted a parrot
75545_img_0443.jpg

Nan's hatch mate Nellie a week or two ago:
75545_img_0360.jpg

The rest of the teenagers, also 15 weeks:
75545_img_0364.jpg

Last edited:
Wow that's a BLRW alright! She's pretty
smile.png
You know what's funny? i have a blr chick that's smaller than the others too! They just hatched, but you see the difference!
blr.jpg

I have a "little bit" too, I've posted about her before (the chick who took forever to hatch), she's doing very well, though growing terribly slowly. Fully feathered finally, her eyes just look a bit strange, like it's too small for her head or something. She's 3 months old now.

That's amazing! It's almost like her wing feathers grew to the size she's supposed to be right now, instead of fitting her current body size. She's quite the interesting little genetic anomaly.

I'm not sure where you are in WA, but currently, in Monroe at Monroe Farm & Feed, they still have some 5 week old Pyncheon Bantams. We have one in with our 2 week old Sumatra and they are best buddies. The Pyncheons are a rare and small true bantam, pullets only get about 1.5 lbs. Last weekend they still had a few. They are straight run but at this age you can tell the pullets from the roos...they are smaller. That might make a good lifelong partner for Nan.

Ooo, Nan is looking prettier every day! Actually, i hate to go against the flow, but I think Nan is developing into a 'he'. To be honest, that might be better for his/her chances of survival if Nan doesn't have to lay eggs.

at any rate, yay Nan!
love.gif

I loved this post! I have a chick that was smaller that its brooder mates and is now still in the brooder with the next go round. she is about 7 1/2 weeks old and is a bit bigger than the 5 week olds that she is in with. I am not sure if she is a she or he but we call her a she. She loves to just sit in my lap and hang out.
There are pictures of her on my blog, she is the tri colored one.

Thanks for the stories and pics of your itty bitties. LuvMy BLR, your itty is darling as is yours WowManaCat. Reminds me of Nan at that age. Nice to know she is not alone! If Nanny ends up a Manny, wouldn't he have some sort of spur bud by now? The saddle feathers are rounded so far. I agree her face looks rooish, but it's not a normal head shape for any chicken. She sometimes acts roosih though. Maybe we should start a vote??!
Thanks also for the Washington chicken hook-up. I will be keeping the two smaller EE's until about September, so the Corvallis Poultry Swap will be a better time-frame for me to find a replacement friend for Nan. I'm hoping by then we will know a gender as well. Might have to buy another little roo?

WOW! Just went back to post #111 which was less than a month ago. What a difference a month makes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom