My little White Leghorn

Hyroler

Songster
Aug 1, 2017
I have 1 little White Leghorn that I'm more and more impressed with everyday.She is a undersized hen with beat up scraggly feathers.She is always dirty and really not much to look at.She is 1st out of hen house whenever I go out to feed flock. She is always hen to run up to me when I have treats or go out to visit.She doesn't liked to be pick up and doesn't even like to get to close to me.She is very independent compared to my other hens.
Most people would pay no attention to this little dirty scraggly standoffish hen but I can't help but be impressed.She lays 6 xlarge eggs a week.1 or 2 of those 6 eggs are double yolkers.What really special is her hobby.She is a rodent Hunter.She had been perching up in my barn and killing mice and even a couple small rats since she was about 6 months old.Lately she has expanded on types of rodents she hunts.Last week she caught and killed 2 moles and a gopher.I've never seen anything like it . Its hard for me to believe how tough this little hen is.I'm not sure if she does it for fun or for nutrients.She always eats the guts out of whatever she kills.
Sometimes I wonder if she is chicken hawk in hen costume.
0526181921b.jpg
0526181921a.jpg

My rooster is standing in front of her in bottom picture.There is massive size difference yet he is scared to death of her.She is giving him stink eye and he is frozen in fear.

Back
Top Bottom