My "Loft Challenge" coop build

Ruralhideaway

Crowing
6 Years
Sep 21, 2017
Upstate NY
I welcome suggestions if anyone sees places to improve my plans.

When I had birds before (ducks geese chickens guineas and peacocks) they occupied a corner of my barn and annoyed me with their choice of roosts and bathroom areas. I had a coop stall of sorts sometimes but mostly they hung wherever. This was messy to say the least. So this time around I decided to have a better system and add in free ranging as safety allows. Predators here vary greatly from year to year so flexibility is great.

There's an old 10 x 20 shed, just a roof really, on the side of my barn that was approaching collapse, so what a great time to fix the structural issues there and remodel! I decided that it would be great to restrict myself to building with only supplies I have on hand wherever possible.

This has been fun to design around odds and ends from my horse barn loft. The fruits of many years of pack ratting have gotten just a bit out of hand so this was perfect.

I'll have to buy some hardware I think and did buy chicken wire and hardware cloth. Oooh and an electric staple gun, no regrets there, great wrist saver while tightening fence!

Here's a pic of the brooder box rough in, showing the grate on top for heat lamps to sit on if I use them. I'll add hc to those so shavings can't get into the hot zone, as well as a hinged access door so chickens can't get into that shelf with the lights. Then will be a poop shelf, 40 inches high, with sheet metal bottom(fireproof) and shallow trays on top. You can see the opening to pull the trays out to clean them to the exterior, awaiting a hinged door still. Two rows of roosts will go above(about 18 linear feet of them) possibly staggered in height. There will be movable dividers in the brooder box and at least 2 doors, still finishing the planning for that. Haven't finished deciding where to put the nest boxes yet.

So far I'm leaning towards keeping the dirt floor with deep litter.
20170922_192726.jpg

Here's an early shot of the covered run. I'm considering a roll up tarp system to block blowing snow on the wind side. I'm working on the run a bit while thinking but finishing that brooder box asap is my priority. These guys are getting big and must move soon! They'll likely move out tomorrow night, Sunday at the latest.
20170922_231145.jpg

Good progress today but not quite chick ready. So close but the heats been tough this week in this particular sunny spot. Brooder cabinet basically complete. Wire dug into a deep trench on one of the two needed sides. Lots of fine tuning of hardware. Lots of tiny cracks that are looking more weasel accessible all the time. Adding electric wire is starting to seem like the answer. Plenty left to do to ensure safety.

You might find the origins of the doors on the brooder pretty cool. Old interior solid wood 6 panel door! Cut into doors, panels cut out, add hardware cloth and voila, nice finished look for the chick brooder, free from the back of the garage. I'm sure this will all look pretty nice once it's painted.
Any suggestions about nest boxes in coop, run, or both?
8963.jpeg

The babies had a blast and have fearlessly attacked the new coop! At least the part they currently have access to. Been working on odds and ends and taking it easy today, enjoying watching them.

I must say, these are the bravest funniest chicks I've ever raised. They came from TSC and I didn't anticipate such great temperments but I'm really pleased with them.

Here they are Dust bathing in shavings
20170926_124345.jpg

Grit feeder I made, hopefully it works as well as Pinterest makes it look lol.
20170926_131755.jpg

Looks good. Nice work. For a roll-up tarp system consider the possibility of an RV awning that sometimes appear on Craigslist for not too much $. They can adjust down at a steep angle that might block snow and wind well enough.

For ten hens I'd have at least 3 nests.

The babies had a blast and have fearlessly attacked the new coop! At least the part they currently have access to. Been working on odds and ends and taking it easy today, enjoying watching them.

I must say, these are the bravest funniest chicks I've ever raised. They came from TSC and I didn't anticipate such great temperments but I'm really pleased with them.

Here they are Dust bathing in shavingsView attachment 1145888

Grit feeder I made, hopefully it works as well as Pinterest makes it look lol.
View attachment 1145889
I made the same feeder however, i think you made the same mistake I did and made it with the wrong part. Yours lookes like the same one I made the first time. If so it will not work. When I put my grit in it, it just fell out you need a y joint I had to put duck tape on the bottom half of the opening so that it would not fall out. When the grit is gone I will swap it with a y joint so it works correctly.
In the photo the one on the left was done with the correct part the one on the right wrong
IMG_8340.JPG

These work great I have them in my run but taller to hold more for food very little food is wasted
IMG_8271.JPG

Looks like happy chickens :)

Last edited:
Can anyone advise about nest box placement? In the nighttime coop or covered run? They won't have access to the run overnight. Also how many nests per ten hens?

Back
Top Bottom