These ducks are changing everyday. I’m just not used to the way ducks act! One thing is they are constantly trying to, you know! All.the.time. And that chattering noise they make! I can be anywhere in the back yard and when I hear that I know exactly what’s going on.

They have all taken turn about being the one on top, and heaven forbid being the one underneath Petey. She completely sinks their entire body. It worries me.

Here, Petey is the recipient and I’m not sure if Hershey was jealous of her or of Ralphie. :idunno

One other thing, Ralphie has started a new, very odd behavior. Anytime I am in the yard, he will run up behind me (literally run to catch up with me), run up to the side of me and then dart in front of me. This happens every single time he is anywhere near me. He even caused me to fall and skin my knee Sunday morning, dang duck! Why is he doing this? Does it have something to do with maturity and “possession” of me, kind of like a cockerel circling around me to dominate me? There are so many behavioral things I have no clue about.

The ducks have also begun scoping out every nook and cranny, including the dog house - they love it - and the little prefab coop in my big chicken run. I am guessing this is in preparation of laying eggs. I find it strange though that they began ‘the act’ so much earlier than chickens do. They were 16 weeks old yesterday and they’ve been experimenting for a good month already. (Just a guess, I didn’t go back and look up the first time I mentioned seeing it.) However, yesterday I did see the little, beige corkscrew for sure. If I’m seeing that does it mean that things are actually taking place now?

I will have to take some pictures of them taking over the dog house porch. They have even run the chickens off — the dog house porch used to be the hang out spot for about six or so of my hens...with or without the dog!:lau

One other thing, Ralphie has started a new, very odd behavior. Anytime I am in the yard, he will run up behind me (literally run to catch up with me), run up to the side of me and then dart in front of me. This happens every single time he is anywhere near me. He even caused me to fall and skin my knee Sunday morning, dang duck! Why is he doing this? Does it have something to do with maturity and “possession” of me, kind of like a cockerel circling around me to dominate me? There are so many behavioral things I have no clue about.

The ducks have also begun scoping out every nook and cranny, including the dog house - they love it - and the little prefab coop in my big chicken run. I am guessing this is in preparation of laying eggs. I find it strange though that they began ‘the act’ so much earlier than chickens do. They were 16 weeks old yesterday and they’ve been experimenting for a good month already. (Just a guess, I didn’t go back and look up the first time I mentioned seeing it.) However, yesterday I did see the little, beige corkscrew for sure. If I’m seeing that does it mean that things are actually taking place now?

I will have to take some pictures of them taking over the dog house porch. They have even run the chickens off — the dog house porch used to be the hang out spot for about six or so of my hens...with or without the dog!:lau
Things are definitely happening. 😆
You might even get an egg before summers over. 💁

Ralphie Dux are so great!! Unlike other dux.
I’m not so sure just yet. He’s acting really weird. It may be normal Ralphie Dux behavior that I’m just not familiar with...yet!

He definitely has personality, and loads of charisma. That’s the only reason he’s still here — the crazy quacker! His little face is precious, but he’d better straighten up and fly right!

And that’s another thing, these ducks CAN too fly! They will ‘take flight’ about 18”-24”off the ground quite often...and not just on the downhill slope. They will also fly back up to their lot. I have also seen them ‘take flight’ straight from the water too! I guess that beats bumbling over the side of the pool.

(I used the term ‘take flight’ cause I didn’t know what else to call it. I don’t mean they actually get airborne like a wild duck.)

Back
Top Bottom