I didn’t read about the first camera. (I got carried away redesigning one of the pictures.) :gigBut when reading the details of camera #2, I read this boxein red:
View attachment 2507365

Do you reckon that particular AI could be changed to pick up chickens and ducks and predators, instead of humans? 🤔 🤣

Thank you @DucksAreBest for providing me with all this info. I’ve made my mind up to start saving money to purchase several cameras, so now I’ve got to start researching which one has exactly what I need/want. Oh dear, now I’m back to dealing with my technology deficient brain!:barnie

Time to get a less fancy camera.

I want mine to pick up pets and humans. I doubt mine have an AI at all.

With dux I would worry about them reprogramming the AI to assist them with world domination.

I didn’t read about the first camera. (I got carried away redesigning one of the pictures.) :gigBut when reading the details of camera #2, I read this boxein red:
View attachment 2507365

Do you reckon that particular AI could be changed to pick up chickens and ducks and predators, instead of humans? 🤔 🤣

Thank you @DucksAreBest for providing me with all this info. I’ve made my mind up to start saving money to purchase several cameras, so now I’ve got to start researching which one has exactly what I need/want. Oh dear, now I’m back to dealing with my technology deficient brain!:barnie
There is nothing like an »On Device AI« !!! - Unless this cameras are built by a way more advanced alien race.
We simply are not able to build any kind of »AI« into such a small device, yet. Maybe in 10 to 15 years! So if this camera is really using »AI« it is sending data (images!) to the manufacturer's servers in the internet where it is processed and the results are being sent back to the camera. In "Newspeak" known as »cloud services«
So that wouldn't work with an »iffy« WiFi connection.

What? 519 images on that camera! And to beat it all, they are not in order after saving them to the computer. I’m ticked.

I have scanned them all and it would’ve been so much better if they were in order, but about the only thing I have figured out is...

...these ducks NEVER sleep!

They were up literally all night! Do you think the camera could have been the cause? There were several shots where RalphieDux was giving it the side eye. For real. Maybe he’d rather live incognito. :lau

And another thing, I just realized while starting to type this that this dang thing must use military time.:barnie I kept wondering why I couldn’t get the date and time right, but, in my defense, every time I’ve gone to set it up the time has been right, always between 1 and 3 pm, so I left it. Dang it!

Anyway — only got two eggs in two different nests. I didn’t see any evidence of egg eating, but then again, with 519 out-of-order pictures, I couldn’t even tell when the two girls laid their eggs.:idunnoWhich leads me to another question, when do ducks actually lay? Could they lay as early as 1 or 2 am? I couldn't tell if they were in the nest sleeping and then nonchalantly plopped out an egg.

Every time something new comes up, these crazy things confound me yet again!

Here are a few pics:
(remember my time stamp is screwed up. I will fix that tonight.)

RalpieDux seems to be quacking out orders at 4:10 AM. I think all the girls are awake and somewhat paying attention.
00000278.JPG

I think RalphieDux is still giving orders, but it appears Peaches and Quinny were both lucky enough to have dozed off together on one nest under the straw bales and Hershey passed out standing up behind RalphieDux. I'm sure Petey is ignoring him as she most always does.
00000346.JPG

Peaches snuck over and got on the nest where Petey was earlier in the night. RalphieDux is keeping a close eye on her.
00000425.JPG

I knew it wouldn't take long before poor Peaches was run off by Petey the Bully!
00000429.JPG

I'm confused, but it appears RalphieDux is standing guard while it looks as though Petey is looking for something.
00000445.JPG

He seems to keep inching closer to see what he can find out.
00000449.JPG

All while being very cautious.
00000452.JPG

After Petey left, RalphieDux decided it was safe to come back and check out what Petey might have found OR stashed, but he's vewy, vewy careful!
00000469.JPG

He checks everything out really good hoping to find something.
00000470.JPG

But, alas, he finds nothing and walks away, pissed and empty billed.
00000471.JPG

However, he is keeping his eye on the sweet and seemingly demure Petey. He knows she's got something up her, er, under those feathers.
00000510.JPG

Petey knows he's on to her, but she hears the giver of food coming and breathes a sigh of relief, and probably farts too.
00000511.JPG

THE END!

So you still don't know if you have an eggcracker-duck?
I can only recommend a live-stream video camera in the poultry coop! I can watch the Duckies for hours, it is more interesting than any »Reality-TV« show they could come up with! And i assume that is the case with all poultry. And it won't cost you $100+ per month, you pay just once for the camera and have life-long fun-TV.

As for the » these ducks NEVER sleep!« - That is the reason why i grant them access to food and water 24x7x365: The weather was miserable all day, cold, snow blowing horizontally, meteors crashing down all over the place and the ducks can't get into their house fast enough in the evening. - Yet still after two or three hours of really deep sleep they all wake up and take a walk outside into the run, even if the meteors are being blown horizontally, and grab a bite and drink a bill or two full of water, then waddle happy back into the house and continue to sleep.
On the very few occasions when they ran out of water or food overnight there were some really angry dragon-ducks in the morning.

So you still don't know if you have an eggcracker-duck?
I can only recommend a live-stream video camera in the poultry coop! I can watch the Duckies for hours, it is more interesting than any »Reality-TV« show they could come up with! And i assume that is the case with all poultry. And it won't cost you $100+ per month, you pay just once for the camera and have life-long fun-TV.

As for the » these ducks NEVER sleep!« - That is the reason why i grant them access to food and water 24x7x365: The weather was miserable all day, cold, snow blowing horizontally, meteors crashing down all over the place and the ducks can't get into their house fast enough in the evening. - Yet still after two or three hours of really deep sleep they all wake up and take a walk outside into the run, even if the meteors are being blown horizontally, and grab a bite and drink a bill or two full of water, then waddle happy back into the house and continue to sleep.
On the very few occasions when they ran out of water or food overnight there were some really angry dragon-ducks in the morning.
My ducks do have access to food and water at all hours, but they don’t have access to their run or pool during the nighttime hours. I have heard an owl hoot on occasion around here and don’t want to lure them to my birds. :eek:

I made a homemade French drain in their little ‘house’ where I keep their water bucket. With this, the majority of the messy water spills do drain outside into the run, but it still gets gunky around the bucket and on top of the rocks, especially where the chickens scratch the straw up around it. I constantly have to clean out on top of and around the drain.

I am very curious how duck eggs are incubated either by the duck or in an incubator. Most of the time my ducks’ eggs are so freaking nasty. Usually if the eggs are laid in a ‘nest’ they aren’t too bad, but in the event an egg is dropped around the nasty water bucket (as mentioned in the prior post) or in a big pile of poo — gross. Surely though, those eggs wouldn’t be drawn over into a nest by the hormonal duck. But, NONE of my duck eggs are nearly as clean as my chicken eggs.

Most all of my duck eggs have gotten wet at some point or another as they’ve been laid. Doesn’t that wash the bloom off, thus leaving them susceptible to infection and such? I don’t plan on incubating duck eggs, but I have wondered.

I am very curious how duck eggs are incubated either by the duck or in an incubator. Most of the time my ducks’ eggs are so freaking nasty. Usually if the eggs are laid in a ‘nest’ they aren’t too bad, but in the event an egg is dropped around the nasty water bucket (as mentioned in the prior post) or in a big pile of poo — gross. Surely though, those eggs wouldn’t be drawn over into a nest by the hormonal duck. But, NONE of my duck eggs are nearly as clean as my chicken eggs.

Most all of my duck eggs have gotten wet at some point or another as they’ve been laid. Doesn’t that wash the bloom off, thus leaving them susceptible to infection and such? I don’t plan on incubating duck eggs, but I have wondered.
if you've ever taken a duck egg in and washed it they seem to have a pretty thick bloom.
As far as eating eggs go I usually dispose of anything that's got a lot of poo on it. If it's just a little bit I'll wash it off.
I think it's actually good for a broody duck to be able to go for a swim every day, I think the moisture left on her feathers when she goes back to the nest provides the right balance of heat and humidity needed for the eggs too lose the amount of moisture they need to to develop properly.

Ok, Fake Eilleen, do not read this, you have heard it so many times you can recite it.

Never ever put a dirty egg into a sterile incubator.

ever!

Bloom is not required or desired on an egg in an incubator.

I thought like 90% of you do, but I was wrong, my only time in history.

The USDA vet required I disinfect the eggs for NPIP certification. She said just try it and see if made a difference. I did it does, for the better.

No more smelly incubator, better hatch rate.

The instructions she gave me was 1 ounce of chlorine bleach to 1 gallon of water. 120 degree water. Then do it a second time.

She said, “why would you clean and sterilize an incubator then bring dirty filthy germ covered eggs into it”.

Think about it, if the incubator is sterile and the eggs are sterile there is no bacteria that can hurt the embryos.

Eggs need to reach an internal temp of 117 degrees to kill off the chick before incubation starts. Once development starts we all know 101.5 will kill them.

So disinfect those eggs and raise more terrorists.

Back
Top Bottom