My Mac and Cheese sucks...Help

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by melissastraka, Apr 13, 2009.

1. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I have been married for 7 years, 6 kids, horrible mac and cheese. I mean really bad. [​IMG] I have tried everything...every recipe known to man, and still....its bad. My kids wont eat it, the dog wont eat it...the only ones that like it is the chickens. [​IMG] So, here is my question....

I need a good mac and cheese recipe...My grandmothers are passed, I havent spoken to my mother in years, my MIL's is worse then mine...Would anyone be willing to share their amazing mac and cheese recipe?? [​IMG] I am determined to make edible mac and cheese.

(I am an amazing cook normally...its just my mac and cheese) [​IMG]

Thanks!!!!

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
  3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    ouch...my MIL's is awefull too!!! I dont make it-Kraft! is all I can say

4. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
    I make mac n cheese, it's pretty yummy to me and my kids. I don't use a recipe I just mix together and add more cheese as needed p/tasting.

1 package elbow noodles (cook until al dente 8-10minutes)

Drain the noodles and add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk and about 1/4-1/2 of the block of velveeta. If it looks to thick I add more milk, and if it doesn't taste cheesy enough I add more velveeta.

It's simple and we enjoy it!!

5. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Gourmet Macaroni & Cheese This is a great recipe!
    Ingredients

Macaroni & Cheese

* 2 ½ cups dry elbow macaroni pasta
    * 8 oz low-fat sharp cheddar cheese, grated
    * 8 oz fat-free cottage cheese
    * 6 oz low fat sour cream
    * ½ cup low fat milk
    * 2 Tbsp fresh onion, grated
    * 2 Tbsp parsley, chopped
    * 1 ½ tsp unsalted butter, melted
    * ½ tsp salt
    * 1/4 tsp pepper
    * 2 egg whites, beaten

Breadcrumb Topping:

* 1/4 cup dried white bread crumbs ( I actually use whole wheat)
    * 1 Tbsp low-fat Parmesan cheese
    * 2 ½ tsp unsalted butter, melted
    * 1/4 tsp paprika
    * 1/4 tsp oregano
    Instructions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and coat a 2-quart casserole or baking dish with nonstick zero-calorie cooking spray. In large saucepan, boil 4 cups of water. Add macaroni and cook, uncovered, stirring frequently, just until al dente (still slightly chewy). Drain and set aside to cool to handling temperature. In large bowl, stir together cooked pasta, cheddar cheese, cottage cheese, sour cream, milk, onion, butter, salt, pepper, and egg whites, and transfer to coated casserole dish. In separate bowl, stir together bread crumbs, butter, paprika, and oregano. Sprinkle over macaroni mixture, cover, and bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake 5 additional minutes or until breadcrumbs are toasted.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  6. toletiquesbysam

toletiquesbysam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2008
    Nebraska
  7. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I make mine according to what I have in the fridge. Usually it's Velveeta, milk, and some sour cream. But THE best I have ever made was with velveeta and Pimiento and cheese. It was divine, and I HATE pimiento and cheese. My DH had bought some for sandwiches and didn't eat it and before it ruined I had the bright idea to put it in the mac n cheese because I was low on Velveeta too. I will now always keep a small tub of it for my mac n cheese.

8. HennysMom

HennysMom Keeper of the Tiara

I make mac n cheese all the time and its always gone in a flash.

I make a roux (butter and flour) then add in heavy cream and milk (equal part of each). Take Velveta and mix into roux until combined. Rule of thumb for butter/flour is 1 tablespoon of butter to 1 tablespoon of flour per cup of liquid to make thick. So for 4 cups I would use 4 tablespoons of butter and 4 heaping tablespoons of flour. Cook the roux for about 2 minutes to get the flour taste gone, then add warm milk/cream mixture (not cold or it will lump) to the roux. Mix thoroughly before adding cream. Will be thick and very creamy.

Par-boil your macaroni noodles before hand - until they are just about aldente. Mix in cheese sauce and put into oven set at 300 for about 30 mins give or take. (Keep checking to ensure no burning - and stir it occassionally) It will look a little soupy at first when you first put it into a casserole dish but it WILL thicken very nicely given the marcaroni has starch in it and will help thicken the sauce even further.

Usually for 1 box of macaroni noodles (1 lb) I use 4 cups of cream/milk mixture and 1 - 8 ounce (I think its 8 ounces) block of Velveta cheese.

Never lasts in our house... this tastes just like Stouffers almost.. but... MUCH BETTER [​IMG] you may need to add some salt to taste, just a pinch. I also add in some regular cheddar as well on occassion.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by