my mama wants to know...

danielle82

A Good Egg
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Tonasket Wa
I am asking a question for my mother...She has about 20 chickens, EE's, Orpingtons, australorps and dominiques. They all started laying in late november early december and until about 3 weeks ago all of them were laying quite well, then she stopped getting her green ee eggs, I told her they were probably just taking a little break but she wanted me to go on "the interweb forum" and ask the chicken people what they thought.... So any ideas for me to pass along to her? Is it just because the EE arn't as good of layers as her other breeds so they take a break? ( I guess being her daughter, My thoughts need to be backed-up lol)

It could be that, or it could simply be the weather, or feed requirements have gone up and feed hasn't. Actually could be a few things. It could be their age, a molt etc.

Almost all chickens slow down or stop during the winter. You can keep them laying more by keeping a light on until later in the evening. Give them 12-14 hours of light and they will lay alot better. Mother natures time clock is the day light length. It lets them conserve energy and calories for the winter. (when they where in the wild) They will start to lay more when the temp rises and days get longer. Just my observance!
I also agree with the above !

Good luck and God Bless!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom