My Meatie Journal (NEW TRACTOR PICS added in post #9)

I'm quite lazy and haven't purchased my scale yet. I MUST weigh them when I process them!!! I'm pretty irritated with myself for not weighing them along, but was also quite irritated when they were too heavy for my existing scale....
tongue.gif

I wanted to let everyone know that the meatie roos have begun to crow. It's not the best crow, but crowing none the less. I'm surprised because they're still so young, but I suppose they're old enough to do that!

I'm considering processing a roo this weekend, but I may talk myself out of it. I know they could all put on a bit more size before I do the deed.

I was wondering if they end up crowing before they are processed. That must be a lot of noise if half are roos.
hide.gif
How old are yours now? I think they are a week ahead of mine if I remember correctly. Ours have been averaging a pound a week and are about 5 lbs now and 5 weeks old. We also had a tractor injury and I may have to cull one soon - giving her a few days in a dog crate next to the tractor so she can eat and rest without the others bothering her. I don't think she will heal though
hit.gif

Just wondered how they're doing now? Are they crowing? My biggest worry about the red broilers is having a bunch of roosters crowing for weeks before they're ready to butcher. I don't think my neighbors would tolerate that. How old do you think yours will be when you butcher and how heavy?

Hey guys. They are doing those raspy crows now and again - but nothing I would worry about for neighbors.

I need to get a scale so that I can tell you before and after weights! I went out this morning to move them and noticed that one of the roos was limping and prefered laying down. He could be the fellow that got stuck under the tractor at one point. I'd go process him right now, but I have an appointment later today - so hopefully he'll be fine until tomorrow.

My birds are just about two months old at this point. I cooked my first one the other night and it was FANTASTIC.

Back
Top Bottom