My mother thinks I'm a redneck cuz I have chickens

Badbaby05

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 17, 2011
I just don't know about my mother. She thinks I'm a redneck because I have chickens. She totally doesn't get the attraction to them. I told her that this afternoon I dispatched 3 of my roos to freezer camp, she was shocked! Says to me that she's gonna take me to the doctor to see if I have a (man part) cuz no girl out there kills chickens, pluckes and such! She has no trouble about coming over and getting a dozen eggs for free but all but calls me a hick cuz I'm not squeemish about killing chickens. Don't get me wrong I don't like it, I take no pleasure in it but I can do it as it needs to be done. She wants to get meat birds this spring and have ME take care of them (including killing and cleaning) and has no trouble with that. But by georgy don't do anything to those chickens cuz that just not right for a girl to do!!!

There I feel better for the rant
smile.png

I grew up on a small home farm and I learned to do all of that too, and still can. I even taught my DH how to take clean the chickens. So here's to CHICK POWER!!!
celebrate.gif

My co-workers think the same thing, but they think they're being nice when they call me a "hill billy" instead of redneck, because they know I'm pretty liberal. Compared to them, anyway.

However, I don't process my own chickens, as a matter of fact, mine are all pets and will live long lives with me. That doesn't matter to folks at work - just the fact that I keep, incubate, hatch and brood chickens and ducks, muck out coops, treat fowl for illnesses, and keep adding coops is enough for them to think I'm pretty strange.

Ah well, they don't mind buying eggs from me. (Except for one gal who doesn't like the idea of eggs "that fresh." HER LOSS! )

when my family( parents sisters nephews) found out that i'll be processing some of my quail this year they were APPALLED....i was already considered nuts for even having them but to EAT them....!
hu.gif
lau.gif

Ask your mother what she thought her grandmother ate, or grandfather. OR her great grandparents.
Farmers and people who want fresh eggs and eat meat, some one has to dispatch the extra chickens and other animals.

I had a friend who bought some polish bantams, but didn't want the eggs, because they didn't have an expiration date on them...

Back
Top Bottom