My muscovy has bumblefoot what is the best treatment and wrap?

WaddleWaddle

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 1, 2013
Culpeper, VA
One of my muscovy drakes has bumblefoot.I clearly see one on the "toe" but is that also one on the base of the foot? My plan is to soak his foot twice a day with Epsom salt and bandage with triple antibiotic ointment. Is there anything else I should be doing? I am picking up a large dog crate from a friend tomorrow for him to stay in since everything is pure mud right now with all the rain we have had. His foot is not hot and he is eating and drinking normally. The only thing that tipped me off was a slight limp. Hopefully I can get this turned around before it gets any worse!

Try to search "bumblefoot" in the search line above. Perhaps there will be other posts on the subject that can help.

Thank you. Does the black part on the "pad" of his foot look like one too? I clearly see the one on the "toe" at 12:00 in the photo but what about the one in the center of the photo?

Thank you. Does the black part on the "pad" of his foot look like one too? I clearly see the one on the "toe" at 12:00 in the photo but what about the one in the center of the photo?
WaddleWaddle, that pad does not look like it has bumblefoot, to me. The toe, as you said, does.

Great news that there's no extra heat in the foot. I think you caught it nice and early. It takes some time to knock it out, but it can be done without cutting, especially catching it early.

Do you have Epsom salt? Clear iodine?

Tonight, you could just let him soak in some lukewarm water, then follow up with a slather of triple antibiotic ointment without painkiller, if you have it.

Other things that could help a little might be chamomile tea, oregano tea.

I would definitely dilute it to a strength you might use for a small child. Olive oil has healing properties, you might consider using that.

And this is not to replace the clear iodine and Epsom salt, but rather to get some healing started until you can get those things, which have proven themselves effective time and again, based on reports on this forum, and in my experience. I use the E.s. and used triple antibiotic ointment afterward, and we have not had a case of bumblefoot (please, may we continue without it) since I learned of the white iodine. I did use it on myself a couple months ago on a weird little infected-looking bump on my finger and it worked nicely.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom