My name is Kelly... Gene Kelly – Tale of A Great Rooster

AriadneCastro

Songster
5 Years
Jun 23, 2016
Sintra, Portugal
This story began when I arrived as a 4-month old cockerel, in May 2016, to the Valley of the Fox.

I came as a gift to a couple of newbie carers, along with two younger girls – Lucrezia, the black beauty, and Isabel, the golden one.

At first, we were suspicious of these strange people, who have the habit of *touching*... Not used to cuddles, we still had to learn that there’s more in life than corn.

The inexperienced people knew no better than to put us together with 8 week-old chicks... To everyone’s great fortune, I never felt interested in the little ones. We got along well, however I could not shed the question of “why was I placed in the kindergarden?”

A few weeks later, water poured out of the sky, and I was given my name, after furiously singing and dancing against the elements.

Time went by and I noticed that the people couldn’t take proper care of the flock. So I have made it my life’s mission to protect and to serve this clan. Even before the dreaded hormones kicked in, I always gave my very best to please, daily offering food to the ladies and paying attention to every moving atom in the valley. So, it was only a small step until I became the undisputed leader of this coop, known from then on as The Clan of Rainbow.

As we were growing up, it became clear that the humans are more trustworthy than previously expected. The long-haired human regularly appears with offerings of food (which makes her a good guy) but she also grabs me and picks me up! She even pets me!!... The action felt offensive in the beginning but now it actually feels... nice.

As we became adults, I became very close to Lucrezia. She is the smartest, most beautiful lady I have ever seen! So I have made her my Queen.

I pay special attention to all her needs, such as inspecting her nest and arranging the straw in the correct manner, so she can lay our beautiful eggs. I also try to be present every single time she’s having her photo taken!

When my ladies lay eggs, I always celebrate with them by singing along, so they know how much I care! But I have to say... it profoundly displeases me when the people come and take the eggs away. What are they doing with them?! However, it never crossed my mind to object... I know they are our friends. Especially the long-haired one is strong and determinate, so I want to be on good terms with her. Plus... she gives me treats, which make me look good when I offer them to the girls!

Maybe one day I will understand what happens to the eggs... I am still a young rooster and our story is just beginning. Who knows what the future may bring?

Last edited:
Loved your story (and the style you wrote it in)! Beautiful photos too, Gene Kelly is very handsome.

Thanks for sharing
thumbsup.gif

Loved your story (and the style you wrote it in)! Beautiful photos too, Gene Kelly is very handsome.

Thanks for sharing
thumbsup.gif

Thank you NFC! Mr. Kelly is quite a character, indeed! It amuses me to watch the interactions in the coop and I'm sure there will be a lot to tell in the future...

Thank you NFC! Mr. Kelly is quite a character, indeed! It amuses me to watch the interactions in the coop and I'm sure there will be a lot to tell in the future...

I hope you'll continue sharing stories about him and his girls. And more pictures! You have a real knack for photography...chicken pictures are not easy to get.

Good moooooo-ooooooo-rning-!

The moment when our human arrives to open our roosting-rooms is, unarguably, the most exciting of the day! I cannot wait to go outside and do everything at once! So, today I managed to discipline Erik, dance for Lucrezia, romance with Gertrud, show the yet-to-be-placed-food to anyone interested, while avoiding the human: all under 20 seconds!!

On the photo: Getoutadawayyy!! Human is too slow for this!

Meanwhile, breakfast is about to be served. This usually calms me down...

Today I wish to present all the members of the Clan of Rainbow. By hierarchy, of course!

So, the ONE you already know – the beautiful! the wonderful! the exquisite! the magnificent! the incomparable!... – Lucrezia! Her majesty is such, she does not even need to scold another. All have deep respect for her grace and dignity, including my supreme Self!

Second lady is Isabel of Socks! So pretty as well... Here she can be seen just before entering the nest-room. Unlike my lovable Queen, Isabel has a temper and most folks get out of her way in 0.3 seconds! She only bows to Lucrezia and, of course, to my supreme Self.

Third lady is Gertrud, the Loud! She just recently started using the nest-room and is mom to the largest eggs I have ever seen! They obviously take that from my side!

As for her sister, Emilia, she is still shy about delivering to us her first one... She is, however, as *loud* as Gertrud, singing the egg-song without need of a reason!

Next, the teenagers: starting with Catarina, the Red! Still a child but getting prettier by the minute... She’s also one of the smartest ladies around!

Next: Victoria, whom we fondly call Vicky. She is Catarina’s less-outgoing sister.

Next: Micaela (in the front). She is the most curious of the "foxy sisters", as we refer to them...

Micaela has a very sweet personality but for some *incomprehensible reason* enjoys being constantly touched by the people. She goes and asks for it, sits on laps, jumps on backs... It is disgraceful! She is otherwise an adorable and smart girl...

Next: Matilde, our smallest member, who is still recovering from a serious injury (broken toe). She has been limp for over a month but her persistent personality made her stronger. Also, the long-haired human gives her special protection and odd-looking snacks (vitamins in disguise), which seem to help.

Finally: Erik, the Obnoxious... This individual is OUT of the hierarchy as far as I’m concerned! He pecks at everyone, missing the aim mostly. Does not show any recognition of social order, has no ability whatsoever, will not even be a rooster when challenged, stupid as a rock! I have been tolerant of his presence because... hum! I’m not sure why, actually! But the long-haired human seems to like him.

Erik brings worries to my mind. Eventually, I *must* do something about it...

Last edited:
Very handsome flock you have!

Question, is that a bowl of snails you're giving them? Never thought of those before but they would be a good source of calcium I would imagine.

Very handsome flock you have!

Question, is that a bowl of snails you're giving them? Never thought of those before but they would be a good source of calcium I would imagine.

Thank you!
smile.png

Yes, those are snails, and one of the clan's favorite snacks. They are rich in calcium (the shells) and also add a little extra protein to their diet. I also give them worms and slugs. They are still being picky about the caterpillars, though...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom