My neighbor lets her chickens free range my yard constantly?

Pics

Chickibee

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2022
I moved into my house a year ago, and this neighbor (we'll call her "Jane") moved in just months after, next door. I live on an acre and a half, and all of my chickens are secured in their run with wire of the top. I do this to protect them from predators, and from just wandering.

Jane got her chickens in April. She has no top over her run, and only maybe 4 foot high livestock fence. She also got about 6 times the amount of chickens allowed for their property (I don't care, but I don't think anyone is fooled when 25 chickens walk down the street, that a quantity like that is forbidden). For awhile everything was fine, but starting last summer, her chickens took up the habit of every single day, they come to my front yard, or go across the street, into the yards of the neighbors who don't have chickens.

Jane's coop is obscured behind her house, while mine is visible from the road (my yard doesn't have many trees), so my concern is always that the chicken-less neighbors will think these are my chickens doing this, and call the county on me.

She then got a rooster. The rooster comes down to my front yard, and the neighbors front yards, and crows in my yard and theirs. I work from home, and give a lot of presentations to clients for my job. Having her rooster crowing in front of my window 10 feet away doesn't work. Additionally, I have my own rooster, contained in my chicken run at the back of my property--I worry that when neighbors hear/see Jane's chickens cruising by and her rooster crowing and annoying them on their windowsill, they will think it's mine, and call the county on us both. You aren't really allowed to have roosters, it's a "don't ask, don't tell" kind of thing. I also take all my neighbors adjacent me dozens of eggs every year, for tolerating my rooster. Jane does nothing for them. And I'm worried the day the call comes, the county will come and make us BOTH get rid of all our extra chickens and rooster.

Last month, her chickens ran out in front of a neighbor's car, causing her to swerve and strike the mailboxes, and the neighbor had to buy a new mailbox over it. The chickens current hobby is spending about 1/3 of their day each day in the mulch that landscapes the exterior of my house--they have completely destroyed it, and ripped down to the liner, and now I need to go buy more mulch and fix this. Additionally, her chickens have become a good food source for predators--there are now extra foxes, hawks and raccoons that hang out around the premises because of her valiant predator feeding efforts. When chickens disappear, she just buys more.

Jane texts me chicken questions, and we previously had good rapport, but I'm so angry over this I don't speak to her anymore. Additionally, they just bought land and are building a farm, so a year from now, they can move away and this won't be an issue. I'll still be here, and if my chickens have been taken away by the county, I'll still have problems.

Any suggestions? I'm very confident just telling her to keep her chickens contained will not be well received at all.

I'd ask her of she would be willing to have a heart to heart and ask her to keep her chickens contained, tell her that if someone decided they don't like chickens running all over, then both of you will have to get rid of your animals and you don't want that since we both want to keep our animals. Plus, I'd tell her that if they destroy any more of your property, you're going to have to ask for restitution, since you can't afford to be repairing your landscaping constantly.
And they've already cost $$ in repairs so far.

She doesn't sound like a competent chicken keeper to me, considering she has minimal security and just replaces instead of fixing the issue. sounds like one of those 'Wannabe Homestead' Barbies you see on the web....

"At Large".

Those are the keywords you want to look for in your municipality's code. Not, necessarily because you should immediately do what you are legally entitled to do - but because it provides a clear line in the sand with which you can guage an appropriately proportional response.

My birds free range. I'm a big proponent of it. ON MY (30 acre) PROPERTY.

Your neighbor is irresponsible and selfish, disrespecting the property rights of every one of her close neighbors, and co-opting your land for her purposes. Creating a "nuisance" - another legal phrase you should familiarize yourself with - in the process.

I recommend a blunt conversation. Not a threatening one, but a hopefully educational one, about the risks her birds pose to others, and the damages they are causing for which she is responsible. You might even offer to help her construct (at her expense, of course) a more secure run for her birds.

If those efforts fail, then I'd use lawful process to end her bird ownership. You can see my flock in my sig - if I had a neighbor like her, it would have already cost me my NPIP certification, and would threaten my culling project and my egg sales. I have little patience, and less tolerance for that.

Last edited:
It's hard to imagine that someone could have absolutely no care about how their actions affect people around them. Although, I know there are plenty of sociopaths out there.

You said you had a good relationship before this, but you've never said anything to Jane about it. So, you've been stewing and getting angry (rightly so) while she goes on continuing the behavior without knowledge of any issue. You have to bring her up to speed. Are you sure that she won't do anything if you ask? Doesn't that have to be the first step regardless?

Good luck.

IF you know the neighbor is moving away in a year, then I don't know how much I would bother to complain about the situation. I don't free range my chickens, even in my yard, so I think someone who lets their chickens free range on other people's property is just being irresponsible.

Dear Wife is from the Philippines. Q. Do you know what they call their chicken(s) that go into the neighbor's yard? A. Someone else's supper!

Could you offer to help your neighbor build a fence to keep their chickens in their yard before the situation gets worse? Sounds like they were your friends at one time and maybe just the offer to help will get them thinking about how other people feel about their free range chickens in everybody's yards. Most people I know, including myself, have chickens for awhile, then maybe not again for some time. Hate to lose friendships over a temporary situation. But it does sound like your "crazy chicken lady" next door is not very concerned about their responsibility with their birds.

I don't live in town, but I think I too would be upset if a fellow Backyard Chicken owner was causing problems that might affect me and my ability to raise a small flock responsibility in my backyard. City ordinances get passed because of bad behavior of the few and that affects everybody. Hope you find a way to improve your situation. Good luck.

If talking to her is off the table, perhaps several neighbors could talk to her or come together and write a letter? Perhaps if she sees that multiple people are taking issues with her practices she will realize the error of her ways. Surely there are ordinances about keeping chickens contained on one's property, so I would cite that. Whether or not it's worth escalating past that and doing something like calling code enforcement is really up to you, and I can understand why you might not want to go down that road, especially given your rooster. It sounds like you have been more than accommodating.

Back
Top Bottom