My neighbors irriate the peaturkey out of me....

tobyshuman

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 8, 2009
Central NC
Our county does have a leash law,yet they allow their puppy to run loose and it is not their fault when he runs over here to our house. Their 5 yo daughter likes to come over and let our 1 hen out of her coop ( I blew a gasket on that one). My husband got into it with the husband last weekend and it won't pretty and guess who has been running over here again today. I think a call to animal control may be next.

Your neighbor is legally obligated to keep control of their dog. You have the right to protect your selves and your chickens even if it means killing their dog. The dog is just a pup now but will turn out to be a major problem without training or confinement. Give them a warning and don't soft pedal it. Dogs can be trained, all it takes is time. If they can't find the time electric collars do a fine job also.

Do a google search using the keywords nusance dogs or leash laws for your state to find out what your laws say. Also send them a dated copy of the laws along with your warning in a letter they have to sign for.

I live in a rural area and anyone with dogs around here understands that a dog that roams and kills or chases wild game or any kind of livestock including poultry will be shot. It is a given. The only people who don't seem to understand this are newbies from the cities. They learn fast.

geeeshhh don't blame the puppy or child! I say shoot the parents..ok just playing!

Fences cost some $$$ I would call the law but before you do that make sure your Ok to have chickens
I say this cause some people are law breakers....like myself...hahaha

Good luck!

I hope that you can get that settled. Maybe you could take a chain over there tell the people to chain up their dog and if they don't do it tell them the next time it comes on your property your calling animal control!

Just wondering, what can we do as chicken lovers if neighbor dogs do kill our chickens? Or does it vary by state?
idunno.gif

Ok wait I've got it you guys!!!

GO GET YOURSELF THE NASTIEST BAD A** ROOSTER YOU CAN FIND(MAKE IT BIG). EVEN IF YOU BORROW HIM.
BRING YOUR HEN INSIDE FOR 3 DAYS OR SO.
WALA LET THE KID CHASING BEGIN!
NOTHING PUTS A KID IN THEIR PLACE LIKE A GOOD ROO!
(YES, I KNOW THIS)
MY KIDS DIDN'T RESPECT THE ROOS ONLY 1 TIME !
Now they (Roos not the kids) are at a friends horse ranch.
The roos wanted the kids in a lower pecking order.
I know it will be kinda inconvenient for you, but your problem might be solved.
Oh, real quick reminder,also go but a sign as a CYA.
No Trespassing
Beware of (cover dog) Rooster!
And, if she decides to let the rooster out......so be it!

Sorry, but irresponsible parenting really fires me up!

You are protecting your flock, the neighbor family should be protecting theirs!

Back
Top Bottom