My new, beautiful rooster.

mpmb1227

Chirping
Jan 28, 2015
Stanwood, Washington
I got him for free on the buy sell swap website for my area. It came just in time as the last one I was going to get didn't work out. He's so handsome and seems pretty docile. He came from a much larger flock than mine, and he was the only rooster for about fifteen hens (almost four times the size of my flock), and had a super stressful ride to his new home. I let him out into the small fenced off area in the barn where he was going to live until I was able to get the girls to accept him. Only, after I opened the doors to the barn and let the girls poke around to see their new man, expecting to hear some very angry noises and taunts, but something different happened. They were so excited to see him, and he must have felt the same way because all he wanted to do was get out and the girls were trying to get IN! After I watched that for about twenty minutes, I went out on a limb and took Harley, the rooster, out of the enclosure and let him free in the yard. The girls saw him from afar and slowly came near, and when he took notice he made his way to them. It was as if it were love at first sight, and they instantly accepted each other. I let him sleep in the coop on the first night! It's been a few days and still they are getting along perfectly, as if he has always been a part of the flock. This was something I did not think was normal because of everything I've heard and read about the slow introductions or else expect a ton of brawls to take place, but then I realized; In nature these birds do it this very way. They just come in and if things work out, they join the flock. Now that they are all happy together, I needed to ask this question.

Since he came from an owner who never handled them, and I frequently handle my girls since it's such a small flock, is it possible that he will warm up to being handled over time? He hasn't shown any signs of aggression toward me, only fright, he just runs away. He's fully mature and my guess is he's probably about two years old, give or take. Any ideas?

Sometimes it works out like that, especially when introducing a mature well behaved rooster to full grown hens.

I would not handle the rooster, unless it's absolutely necessary. I hand feed mine, he drops the treats for the girls, but don't pick him up.

You may actually have trouble handling your hens now that he's around, he may not like that at all...it's all about territoriality .....and the hens may not want you to handle them anymore because they have a new 'rooster' in the flock.

If you go to handle your hens and he gets upset or aggressive, don't back down or show fear.
Matter of fact I'd start getting him used to you handling the hens in front of him right away so he knows the score, he may be the rooster but YOU are king/queen of the flock.

Be calm confident and matter of fact, I'd keep it short the first few times until you can gauge the situation and his behavior.

Very good advice from aart. You are very fortunate to have found such a nice rooster. Being that he's past the hormonal stage is definitely working to your favor, also the hens. He would be much more unpredictable if he were under a year old. He's mature, in control of his impulses, and knows his way around hens, and your hens sense his confidence.

Aart cautions you to be alert, confident and calm. It's crucial for you to assert yourself with this rooster, and he will be able to sense any hesitation or anxiety on your part. Take things slowly and be very deliberate in your behavior until you've established your role with the flock and you are sure this rooster accepts it.

You have everything going in your favor. This first week with your new rooster can set the tone for the rest of your time with him.

Well so far so good! I have frequently held them in his presence, and the only time he showed any aggression toward me was while I was herding them back to the coop, and of course I stood my ground and he backed away. I frequently hang around the run so he see's the girls flock to me for food and attention, and he seems to be alright with me getting rather close to him. I've read all the tips and tricks to showing your dominance and it appears to be working. I am being as cautious as possible as he has spurs about 3 1/2 inches long... don't want to get cut by those monsters!

Well so far so good! I have frequently held them in his presence, and the only time he showed any aggression toward me was while I was herding them back to the coop, and of course I stood my ground and he backed away. I frequently hang around the run so he see's the girls flock to me for food and attention, and he seems to be alright with me getting rather close to him. I've read all the tips and tricks to showing your dominance and it appears to be working. I am being as cautious as possible as he has spurs about 3 1/2 inches long... don't want to get cut by those monsters!
That's great!!

I've found a calm, cool attitude is the best tool ......they can 'sense' your dominance without any overt physical behavior on your part.
Spending a lot of time working around the coop and some handling the hens can really help.
Time will tell, I think it takes several weeks for them to feel comfortable enough for you to see their true nature, he's still acclimating to the new place.

How about a pic of your beautiful new roo?

Back
Top Bottom