Rooster Behavior

Chicken6000

Chirping
May 10, 2023
Austin, Texas
Rooster Age: 23 weeks
Rooster Breed: N/A

My rooster has been acting a bit like a police officer lately, I'm sure It is him maturing and turning into a rooster that takes charge and protects the flock/himself. I am a little concerned with him because he is pecking me, he has never pecked me but he did a few times today when I tried to pet him, he pecked my hand. He isn't an aggressive rooster, he lets me pick him up, lets me pet him sometimes, and he doesn't mind when I stand or walk near him. I just want to know If its normal for him to do that, since you know, he Is a rooster. I'm hoping he Is just doing that to protect the flock or maybe he didn't feel like being petted.

I've only owned chickens for a little over a year but in that time, the 1 rooster we have went the same route. At first I was able to pick him up and pet him. As he became more roostery he became more aggressive. Would peck me when I'd pet him. Eventually he started doing his kick jump and attack with his talons. It got to the point where I just don't go near him unless I have a stick. I can still be in the vacinity of him but if I turn my back he'll attack. We still have him a year later but are looking for ways to get rid of him. Unfortunate but I think that's just their natural instict :(

Yes, it's absolutely 100% normal rooster behaviour. Especially while he's maturing. Give him some time, but don't take him being mean to you. Figure out something to do back to him that won't encourage his aggressiveness, but get your point across. Maybe a word command such as stop, and a light tap on his crest. Continue picking him up and grow a good, trustful relationship. Good luck!

Yes, it's absolutely 100% normal rooster behaviour. Especially while he's maturing. Give him some time, but don't take him being mean to you. Figure out something to do back to him that won't encourage his aggressiveness, but get your point across. Maybe a word command such as stop, and a light tap on his crest. Continue picking him up and grow a good, trustful relationship. Good luck!
So do you think I should continue my time with him and let the pecks slide as normal? What should I do if he ever "attacks"

I will be a bit to the opposite in my opinion.

You should not handle him unless for health checks.
When you walk toward him he should walk away from you.

All this holding and petting makes you one of the flock not the flock leader. It interferes with his position in the flock. As one of the flock you are more likely to be challenged for position.

I also don't recommend handing treats to the females. That is HIS job.

So do you think I should continue my time with him and let the pecks slide as normal? What should I do if he ever "attacks"
Yes, I think you need to continue spending time with him, but don't let him get away with being aggressive. I would make "stop" your command word, then tap him either on the beak or on the crest when he pecks, and pick him up right after and carry him around. You want a rooster (I'm assuming) that you can trust when you turn your back. I would start becoming very involved in the hens and him. He needs to learn that you aren't there to take his position with the hens, but he still needs to respect you when you're around him and them. Not trying to be contrary to what was stated above, but I would start hand feeding the hens and him when you can. Get him used to it and build a trust with him. My lead rooster and I have an amazing bond. He's the only one I trust to be around younger children. If another one of the roosters starts getting aggressive with me he'll chase them off and come stand guard right around me. He needs to start viewing you as someone to be respected. And that can go both ways. Let him do his job with the hens even of he seems a little aggressive at times. Try to help him get used to you being a respected member of the flock.

Do what he likes. If he wants to be picked up, pick him up. If he doesn't, don't. I don't think there are many chickens, if any who enjoy a pet. Maybe a scritch in the wattle and comb area, some kind of enjoy the head, but not anywhere else. And definitely not the kind of pet you'd do on a dog. I whole-heartedly agree, only feed him. Any kind of treat you're giving out goes to him first

Yes, I think you need to continue spending time with him, but don't let him get away with being aggressive. I would make "stop" your command word, then tap him either on the beak or on the crest when he pecks, and pick him up right after and carry him around. You want a rooster (I'm assuming) that you can trust when you turn your back. I would start becoming very involved in the hens and him. He needs to learn that you aren't there to take his position with the hens, but he still needs to respect you when you're around him and them. Not trying to be contrary to what was stated above, but I would start hand feeding the hens and him when you can. Get him used to it and build a trust with him. My lead rooster and I have an amazing bond. He's the only one I trust to be around younger children. If another one of the roosters starts getting aggressive with me he'll chase them off and come stand guard right around me. He needs to start viewing you as someone to be respected. And that can go both ways. Let him do his job with the hens even of he seems a little aggressive at times. Try to help him get used to you being a respected member of the flock.
Thanks, so are you recommending to spend time with the flock as usual, don't let the rooster go away with pecks towards me, hand feed and gain their trust?

Thanks, so are you recommending to spend time with the flock as usual, don't let the rooster go away with pecks towards me, hand feed and gain their trust?
Yes. I think it'll be much better in the long run if you have a mutual repsect for each other. And once you establish that you aren't trying to take his flock, but you'll still always be there, he won't feel a need to challenge you. It may take some patience, but it'll be worth it!

Yes. I think it'll be much better in the long run if you have a mutual repsect for each other. And once you establish that you aren't trying to take his flock, but you'll still always be there, he won't feel a need to challenge you. It may take some patience, but it'll be worth it!
Thanks for the help, one more question, what exactly do you mean by "once you establish that you aren't trying to take his flock"?

Back
Top Bottom