my new bunny hutch

Even if the wire is sturdy, chicken wire is very thin and can cause foot problems. You usually want to go with a thicker diameter wire to help prevent problems like sore hocks.

Why is it that every book, website, people in various rabbit groups say they need hay?? I provide my rabbits with hay, i believe it provides necessary fiber aswell as helps keep their teeth worn down. They also like to nestle in it.

Just because the rabbit was kept that way before yall got her doesnt mean she should stay that way. It is well known fact that rabbits who are kept on wire floors without any place to get off them, will develop sore hocks.

Im just worried about the health and well being of the rabbit.

Quote:
the wire he got was the thicker gage, he crossed them to make the hole smaller so her feet wouldn't fall through. He did one wide and the other lenghth wise to ensure it was sturdy and that her feet didn't fall through. The other wire we had didn't allow for her droppings to fall and we were concerned she would have poop in her hutch with her.

Quote:
She hated the hay we provided for her when in her other home. Wanted no parts in eating or laying on. She can get her fiber from the veggies we feed her and the salt and mineral licks she has. Her teeth will wear dowm from chewing on hard veggies.

Listen, you keep your bunnies the way you want. She stays like that to sleep and when not being let out to play in our yard or house.

maybe we will just eat her~
roll.png

thank you! She is a mini lop. She has blue eyes. Super cute and getting used to us. She loves to ride in the wagon with my boys. I encourge them to pet her and talk to her so she gets used to us.

Apparently she was keep in not so nice conditions, i saw no water or food so i grabbed the only 12 bucks i had and purchased her. Later i found out they feed and water them then take it out of the cage, Still think water should have been left.
This is the 11th bunny my husband has had in his life. All lived healthy, loving lives. SIGH with out any hay.....LOL

he loves the lops~ Me i hate rabbits, think they are pointless and serve no purpose. My husband disagree's and since he let me have 2 goats and 12 chickens .........i gave in and bought it for him!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Actually a good pelleted feed should have everything in it a rabbit needs. Yes they love hay, well most do, not all, and some breeds need that extra roughage, especially the fur breeds like angora's etc. but I have raised rabbits for years and when I have hay they get it, but if I don't they are just fine without it. Hay does not help keep their teeth worn down. Apple tree branches do though and they love those. Also you can give them a piece of drywall, they love to chew on it and sit on it, kill two birds with one stone. Won't hurt them one bit.

Sore hocks depend on a lot of things, the flooring is one, the breed and weight is another. Some breeds, like rex, have less padding and fur on their feet and are prone to sore hocks. Also rabbits kept in dirty conditions on waste filled solid floors will also develop feet problems. My rabbits have never developed sore hocks and have always been on wire, but I do have some plastic sitting boards you can buy made just for that. I bought them mainly for my larger breeds and for some of my older cages where the wire was a bit rusty in case it was rough on their feet.

Typically poultry wire is not recommended as it sags, is easily ripped open by predators, hard on feet, etc. but sounds like you made accommodations, so hopefully it will work for you .

Don't be surprised if the bunny chews on the waterer, they love plastic usually, not all, but most do. They love grass, clover, dandelions, etc. just be careful if she is young and limit her, because it will give her diarrhea which can be deadly to young bunnies.

Quote:
Actually a good pelleted feed should have everything in it a rabbit needs. Yes they love hay, well most do, not all, and some breeds need that extra roughage, especially the fur breeds like angora's etc. but I have raised rabbits for years and when I have hay they get it, but if I don't they are just fine without it. Hay does not help keep their teeth worn down. Apple tree branches do though and they love those. Also you can give them a piece of drywall, they love to chew on it and sit on it, kill two birds with one stone. Won't hurt them one bit.

Sore hocks depend on a lot of things, the flooring is one, the breed and weight is another. Some breeds, like rex, have less padding and fur on their feet and are prone to sore hocks. Also rabbits kept in dirty conditions on waste filled solid floors will also develop feet problems. My rabbits have never developed sore hocks and have always been on wire, but I do have some plastic sitting boards you can buy made just for that. I bought them mainly for my larger breeds and for some of my older cages where the wire was a bit rusty in case it was rough on their feet.

Typically poultry wire is not recommended as it sags, is easily ripped open by predators, hard on feet, etc. but sounds like you made accommodations, so hopefully it will work for you .

Don't be surprised if the bunny chews on the waterer, they love plastic usually, not all, but most do. They love grass, clover, dandelions, etc. just be careful if she is young and limit her, because it will give her diarrhea which can be deadly to young bunnies.

Thanks you!
yes,that water is until tomorrow. i am getting her this really cute ceramic bowl i saw at the dollar store. My bus broke down today and my smaller car only fits some of the kids i have. i will go tomorrow when DH is off.
i am lucky to have the best gaurd dog link who has chased off any lil critter who tries to stroll into my yard. He sleeps outside so he is on high alert protecting my chickens and bunny. The wire is really sturdy , hubby is a little OCD and was pressing hard to make sure it didn't sage. When he doubled it up he made sure it was sturdy and that her lil feet didn't get hurt. I also suggested a piece of wood in her hutch but he wasnts to make her a bed. It's his bunny so i walked away and played iwth the chicks

Sounds like you have it all covered then!

I love lops too! We have holland lops and one mini lop. They are very sweet! We have had many other breeds too, but I always come back to my lops.
big_smile.png
We have shown ours in 4-H and ARBA, we raised NZW for meat for a while, the meat is excellent, and so good for you, but no one really liked the processing part.
sickbyc.gif

i can't even process a chicken let alone a bunny.....LOL! they are cute and i wish i would have gotten the other one as well. they were both girls. Probally still there~

Back
Top Bottom