My New Chicken Barn (10' x 20') for under $1000

tomcatbubba

Chirping
9 Years
Jun 16, 2010
60730_lawson_6th_bday_033.jpg

60730_lawson_6th_bday_031.jpg

60730_lawson_6th_bday_030.jpg

Thought ya'll might like to see my new chicken coop. It is done like a pole barn framed with pine and covered with 1"x10" poplar boards and metal roofing. I bought everything at the local retail store so paid a little more than I would have liked but still came in under $1000. It is about 15' at the peak so has a TON of room up in the rafters for the chickens to roost.

Any questions on the design please feel free to ask.....

Cheers
smile.png

Here in AZ that metal roof would act as an oven and we'd have roasted chicken every day.

I would try and put a layer of insulation between the metal roof and the chickens.

Also I would add some predator proof windows and some ventilation.

I do like the size.

Looks great! And the price seems really reasonable.

Afew questions:

-What about ventilation? Are you in a cool climate?

-Is that a perimeter foundation of concrete? Or did you just dig post holes on the corners? I'm sure that if I knew more about pole barn construction this would be obvious to me...

-Did you design the trusses yourself? Or did you find plans for them?

Since construction I have cut a 2' x 3' window (with hardware cloth on it) mainly for sunlight but the eves of the roof let in plenty of fresh air plus the slats of the barn boards have about a 1/2 inch gap each so prenty of breeze blows in. I had them cooped up all last week when I was out of town and the day temps were around 105 plus 80% humidity and my chickens and guineas were just fine when I got home (neighbor watered them for me though).

Post holes in the corners 2 feet deep with 4x4s plus 2 other 4x4s at 10 foot intervals on the 20 foot runs. I did pour a concrete base about 1 foot deep and 4 inches wide to keep the predators out. I live in a fairly restrictive county and had to get a building inspection on this (funny huh??). The guy commented that this was the sturdiest chicken house he had seen (notice the hurricane straps).

I designed and built the trusses free hand.

The one thing I love about this house is the birds can get up in the rafters at night and have plenty of room to stretch out.

Nice job!!! Love the amount of space you have. Could hold many birds, if set up right.

No matter where you are, you need some vents up high on a couple of sides!

Have fun, nice big coop.

Nice Job.We converted actualy 4 building's here for bird's.We have the one original Big 3 room coop away from house .But when I started getting bird's I GOT BIRD"S Tooo Many LOL.All have metal roof's and rafter's too and the flighty one's love to roost high so they will like the open ceiling.One and 2 has 2 window's and the one just has one.We take the window's(screened) out or open for summer month's some of the building's were designed diff. with the window's.The Big coop has lot's of windows with screen which can be closed for winter.I have some repair's yet on a few of those and not utilizing 2 room's right now do to that and racoon's until We can get them trapped out.Look's like your bird's are going to have a nice coop there.Do you plan on adding run's or going to free range?

Back
Top Bottom