My New Coop! 3/14 Today's progress pic on post #356

I'm not sure how much ice damming I'll get on this because the eaves are so close to it and it won't be heated. I don't have a problem on my other outbuildings and they don't have near the roofing or the pitch that this one will and they aren't under huge trees like this one either. I am going to put up 3/4 inch foam board between the rafters on the inside. I'm thinking it will be OK.

Quote:
Chuck, are you referring to Ice and water shield?

We use it on the eaves of heated buildings to prevent ice damming in the winter.

Yeah, but I have seen some places that waterproof the entire roof to help prevent mold and rot in them, especially in places that have a lot of precip. I was just wondering about it because of the shade from the pine trees, and the possiblity of dampness on the roof from rain or snow melt that might not dry thoroughly. Thus possibly causing a mold/mildew buildup on the roof.

I find using Architectural shingles are easier to lay than 3-tab. You only have to lay them straight in one direction and they are usually rated for a higher wind.

Quote:
I would use AR (Algae Resistant) shingles since it is under those trees. We use Certainteed Landmark 30 AR shingles for just about everything.

Another trick we used is to put zinc strips under the last row of shingles (usually uner the ridge cap). I haven't done that in years, but the zinc strip when rained on, would keep algae from growing on the shingles.

The only time we "Ice and Water" the whole roof is for any roof flatter than a 4/12, here in Michigan.

I like to use rolled roofing...goes on fast.. however its only est life is 10 years..i use the type the comes in 90lb rolls. first lay your roofing felt, then roll it(rolled roofing) out to warm up in the sun..spread the goo around and start laying it.. works well.

Charlie

Last edited:
I was actually going to go with the rolled roofing as a temporary fix until I could go back to work but I was given enough shingles to do it for free. Free is good.
big_smile.png
They are Certainteed Presidential Shake. They are an asphalt shingle designed to look like shake. I'm not sure how to figure pitch but the roof drops about 4 feet in 12. Also, the trees are a bit misleading. We are a very dry climate- We don't have problems with moss or algae like other areas of the country and I'm also going to be trimming the branches up another couple of feet once the shingles are up. The west side of the building (the one the pitch of the roof is exposed to) gets a lot of sun in the evenings, even in the winter. Most of my pics are taken in the evening and you can see how much the sun hits it.

Back
Top Bottom