My new Dexter cow's are home!!!! :)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by steffpeck, Aug 14, 2008.

1. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    We purchased 6 Dexter's from a lady in Colorado. They arrived here last night. I am sooooo excited!!! We got 1 Red Bull, 2 Black Cows (3-4 years old), 2 Black Yearling Heifers and a 3 month old Black heifer calf. This adds to our Black Dexter Cow and Dexter/Sundog cross heifer calf we already have. So we now have 7 Dexters and Zoey, the Dexter/Sundog calf. They are all so pretty and are doing really well!! We got really lucky, they are all gentle, and fairly friendly. We can even pet the bull. [​IMG] Here are some pictures of them from the breeders website (which I have permission to use. [​IMG] )

Tighe (the Bull)
    [​IMG]

Mayflower
    [​IMG]

Antero
    [​IMG]

Spruce
    [​IMG]

Sydney
    [​IMG]

Jewel
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  2. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Oh they are adorable! I can't wait until we have room for cows!

3. silkieluvr

silkieluvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2007
    Marin, California
    Aww, very cute! [​IMG]

4. Aspen47591

Aspen47591 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    So pretty! They look so healthy.

5. dogzrule5

dogzrule5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Sanford, NC
    They're gorgeous! I wish I could have a few cows.

Are they pets (I hope)?

6. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    those are some goodlooking dexter cows an heifers.its best to always watch the bull an never trust him.

7. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Yes, they are pets. We plan on breeding them and selling the calves. We are very cautious with the bull, but he really is a sweetheart. We got very lucky with him!! We were even able to try to milk Mayflower, the oldest one, as her calf was recently weaned, but I think she has already dried up to much, as we were not able to get milk from her. I can't wait for next spring/summer we will have 5 new dexter calves. [​IMG] We are having so much fun with them!!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  8. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Thier nice looking animals! Watch that bull close. A friendly bull isn't always the best idea. Make sure he knows who is boss and don't turn your back on him or any other bull.

Do you know about...

[​IMG] Nifty started this one about a month ago. We'd love to see your pics there too!

9. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    Watch your chickens around them!!! There have been several people on here who have experienced their Dexters eating/killing chickens. Congrats on the new pets!!!!

10. 92caddy

92caddy Egg Lover

May 18, 2007
    Portland, IN
    Congrats, Ive always wanted a Dexter or 2. I wish I could fine some close by and cheap.

I have to ask, what is a Sundog? Ive never heard of them before.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by