My newly hatched chicks hip is displaced! What do I do???

Its okay, my chick seems to be doing okay rn. Able to (very wobbly lol) walk so it can get to resources. But would you have any knowledge on inbreeding? Because earlier this morning I did have a chick die of breathing issues that I am wondering is inbreeding related.
How inbred are we talking? If it's just like a first or second cross between related birds, unless they're both carrying some sort of genetic abnormality, it should be fine. Line breeding is done with many animals to enhance or preserve specific traits.

If these birds have been interbred over generations, then yes you could start seeing issues. But there's not a specific number of generations that would form some magic line to not cross.

How inbred are we talking? If it's just like a first or second cross between related birds, unless they're both carrying some sort of genetic abnormality, it should be fine. Line breeding is done with many animals to enhance or preserve specific traits.

If these birds have been interbred over generations, then yes you could start seeing issues. But there's not a specific number of generations that would form some magic line to not cross.
Ok, yeah, that makes sense, and it is definitely a lot of aunts, cousins, and sisters. But you are right there is usually a lot of inbreeding between species to preserve/enhance traits. I just had ANOTHER chick die this morning, not sure why. It was a little weak last night but other than that its breathing seemed fine. I guess this batch just has a lot of issues...

Back
Top Bottom