My old hen has lime green poop on her feathers below her vent

Hi Angelina, I'm glad to see Broken Toe is still eating, drinking, pooping and talking to you! And getting a little exercise and being out with the other chickens. What time do you get up in the morning? Is your hen still sleeping in your room? You should check her crop as soon as you get up, like at 6 am if possible, and then provide her with food and water right away so she can eat and drink if she wants to. Chickens are usually up with the sun and want to eat and drink right away. You don't need to check her crop throughout the day, what's really important is: is it full at bedtime? And, is it empty first thing in the morning, before she has access to either food or water. The answer to these questions is really helpful in determining how sick she is, and if she's getting better, or if she's getting sicker. Can you do that? And let @Wyorp Rock know?

Hi Angelina, I'm glad to see Broken Toe is still eating, drinking, pooping and talking to you! And getting a little exercise and being out with the other chickens. What time do you get up in the morning? Is your hen still sleeping in your room? You should check her crop as soon as you get up, like at 6 am if possible, and then provide her with food and water right away so she can eat and drink if she wants to. Chickens are usually up with the sun and want to eat and drink right away. You don't need to check her crop throughout the day, what's really important is: is it full at bedtime? And, is it empty first thing in the morning, before she has access to either food or water. The answer to these questions is really helpful in determining how sick she is, and if she's getting better, or if she's getting sicker. Can you do that? And let @Wyorp Rock know?
I usually get up at 7:00, 7:30 but I can start getting up at 6:00 while she is in my room. I can do that.
Thank you! @BigBlueHen53

Broken toe Update march 25 2022 10:40pm.
Broken toes crop feels squishy but not as full as other times.
When she was outside today she didn't go very far from everyone else but before I brought her in I had to go find her cause she walked about thirty feet away from the coop, (I thought she might have gotten taken by something when I was searching for her). I don't know how much food she ate today I know she drank water and I did see her pecking at the ground every now and then. I haven't seen many of her poops today either but know they are still the same.
I also have to feed one of my neighbors horses in the mornings I usually feed them around 8:30am. The last couple days I haven't had to but tomorrow and the next couple days I need to feed them in the mornings so it might be harder for me to get certain things done for Broken toe at a certain time (I only have to give hay to four horses and check their water so it doesn't take long. But if I am going to be waking up at 6:00am for the next couple days I think I will have plenty time to do everything for Broken toe. So I guess I will have to wait and see what happens.
Sort of questions?
I have been thinking about playing calming music for her at night but haven't really done it yet... Have you ever played music for a sick chicken? (Music from a phone or speaker/radio) if so what music did you play? I looked up yesterday calming music for chickens not much came up I did find one video that I liked but I didn't have the speaker loud enough for Broken toe to hear it I believe.
I am tired, so I am going to stop here and get Broken toe ready for the night (take the food and water away for the night after offering it to her one last time, I doubt she will eat or drink though) I think I covered all the important info on Broken toe's status as of right now.
Thank you!

I felt Broken toes crop just a minute or so ago and it felt squishy but it was almost empty. She also pooped about two times in the last two hours as far as I am aware I know she pooped once at around 11:00pm last night. I took away her food and water last night. I will get her food when I feed the rest of the chickens which I think I will do at 7:00am today. Just a hour or so before the usual feeding time.
Her water is near her right now, I put a few drops of the chicken elixir in it last night.

Sounds good.
You're doing the best you can with her.
Have you given her any coconut oil?
Thank you!
I haven't given her coconut oil as I wasn't exactly sure on weather or not I should and the coconut oil we have currently says it was best by 11-30-2020 I am not sure if it would be very safe to give Broken toe it's almost empty too. I want to get more coconut oil the next time I go into town. As soon as we get more I will give it to her if that is needed (or if you think the coconut oil I already have is okay to use).

Thank you!
I haven't given her coconut oil as I wasn't exactly sure on weather or not I should and the coconut oil we have currently says it was best by 11-30-2020 I am not sure if it would be very safe to give Broken toe it's almost empty too. I want to get more coconut oil the next time I go into town. As soon as we get more I will give it to her if that is needed (or if you think the coconut oil I already have is okay to use).
If it smells rancid I would just throw it out.

And when I offered food she didn't want to eat any so I am thinking I MIGHT need to try syringing food into her probably a couple days from now (if at all) I don't think she is that bad or picky yet, maybe coconut oil would help her want to eat more. I got her to drink a fair amount of water with the chicken elixir in it today. And her crop feels squishy but in a way I almost feel like it is a little "puffy?" feeling. She has been pooping still her poops still look the same.
I don't know if it's just me or the lighting but I feel like Broken toe has been looking a little pale today especially around her eyes.
And I haven't felt her abdomen in a while.
Fun little story
I saw my khaki Campbell duck (Jem) in one of the chickens nesting box's today she laid an egg but I didn't see her lay it. She is the only duck I have that is small enough to fit in there (I have never seen her lay in the nesting box's before).

If it smells rancid I would just throw it out.
It doesn't smell bad so I don't think it needs to be thrown out.
When I felt Broken toes vent I used that coconut oil, I just am not sure if it would be very good for her to ingest it since it is two years past the BEST By date if it was like a year older than what it says it's best by then I would probably feel more comfortable using it. I also asked my mom if it looked okay, before I used it to feel Broken toes vent and she said it was still good.

Back
Top Bottom