My old hen has lime green poop on her feathers below her vent

I just read this whole thread. I am sorry your hen is sick, but you are getting the best advice possible from @Wyorp Rock and you are doing a wonderful job caring for Broken Toe. The only thing I have to add is, try not to stress too much about the temperature of your room from day to day. If the room is anywhere near comfortable for you, it is fine for your patient. Remember that above all, she is a bird. Nature has provided her all she needs for dealing with temperature changes in the form of those magnificent feathers, the same as all wild birds.

It's nice to see how loved Broken Toe is and how well she is being cared for. You are a very special young lady and she is lucky to have you. ❤️

I just read this whole thread. I am sorry your hen is sick, but you are getting the best advice possible from @Wyorp Rock and you are doing a wonderful job caring for Broken Toe. The only thing I have to add is, try not to stress too much about the temperature of your room from day to day. If the room is anywhere near comfortable for you, it is fine for your patient. Remember that above all, she is a bird. Nature has provided her all she needs for dealing with temperature changes in the form of those magnificent feathers, the same as all wild birds.

It's nice to see how loved Broken Toe is and how well she is being cared for. You are a very special young lady and she is lucky to have you. ❤️
Than you. I try my very best, especially lately. Broken toe probably wouldn't be here right now if I didn't know about BYC. I really appreciate everyone's help and best wishes for Broken toe.

Help her as long as you think you should. Can you have your Dad or Mom help you evaluate her and discuss if her time has come or that you should continue with giving her extra care for a while longer?

I don't know about the seal on the elixer. Do you think it came off when you opened it? If it came from the store, you may be able to exchange it?

I change out moistened feed daily, if it gets dirty, then more frequently. I usually only put out enough wet feed that the hens eat in a day or for part of the day, then refill.

I would let her have the sugar water, but do provide some fresh plain water too. Change the water daily or if it gets dirty, then change it more frequently. With her crop not emptying, the sugar may promote the crop to turn sour, so keep watch on that.

For me, I put feed in a container (small bucket) you can use a small bowl(?) I add water to the feed and let is soak overnight. My hens like it about the consistency of oatmeal. Crooked toe might like it a bit dryer or more runny, so adjust the amount of water you add accordingly.

I'm glad she was able to get outside for a while. I know she's not feeling well, but it's good for her to see the others and feel the sunshine.

I'm so sorry that she's not doing all that well. You are doing a good job taking care of her. I know it can be hard to watch them decline, so take time to talk with your parents and listen to their opinion as well. :hugs
I think the seal came off when I opened it, but I also don't think so. The way the lid is designed it really makes sense for it to have broke it the wat it did but at the same time it looks like someone tried lifting the seal or pushed it in kind of. I showed my mom the seal when I opened it I asked her if she knew where the receipt was she didn't know I think it got thrown away or lost (she also didn't think it would be bad to give it to Broken toe if I remember correctly), so I don't know if returning it would be much of good option, I can show a picture of the seal if needed. I haven't given her sugar water today and most of yesterday but tomorrow I will give her some, I only have one container for her water so I have to have plain or sugar water at one time for right now any ways. I have been trying to find a suitable water container/bowl for her but the empty cottage cheese container is good enough till then.
I also about 20 mins ago now got Broken toe to eat just a little and drink some water, her crop has felt squishy all day as far as I am aware. I was outside with Broken toe maybe for fifth teen minutes after I let her out and then went back inside. And looked out the window periodically, but she hangs out in blind spots all the time when she is like this so I have a hard time seeing her when she is outside. Last night I filled the glass jelly jar with feed and water and let it soak, and then poured some earlier today for Broken toe but she hardly ate any (I gave just a tiny bit I expected her not to eat much and didn't want to waste any) and then when I let her outside I gave most of it to the rest of the flock (chickens/ducks) Rose one of the ducks with a messed up bill really enjoyed the soaked feed to bad there wasn't more and that it wasn't so hard for her to actually get most of it down.
Thank you!
Quick question I don't exactly know how to like tag people or whatever it is called I figure it would be nice to know how. (I haven't been able to figure it out myself). Do you like hold down on the name or something and then do copy link address or something like that? Or am I really far off from the answer to my question?

I'm glad Rose enjoyed the soak feed too.

For me, I found a 2 gallon bucket at Lowes and use that for my wet feed. Of course, I don't fill it up with feed, I only make enough soaked feed for one day, making it nightly. You may be able to find a suitable bowl or bucket at the feed store, Walmart or online too.
I've never fermented feed, but some people do.

As for how to tag people start with an @ symbol followed by their name, as you start typing the person's name a little drop down usually appears to help you find it, click on the name and it will fill it in for you. I'll try to show you in a screenshot. Does that help?
Test it out by tagging @BigBlueHen53 and me in your next post:)

1648212547431.jpeg

Thank you, @Wyorp Rock @BigBlueHen53
Broken toe hasn't done much during the night I believe, I will her get some sugar water for her today.
Here is the seal to the chicken elixir. I had to open it again to take the pictures and I really just think it is the lid as there is a lot of resistance when opening it, but that could also be because it is broken and messed up not because of the lid and that's why it's is a bit harder to open. (It is easy to open but I think you can understand what I mean).
20220325_082548.jpg
20220325_082554.jpg
20220325_082604.jpg

That is the only seal on it there wasn't any plastic on the outside or anything. In picture #1 you can see that the middle not just the outer ring is broken too (it is up in that spot a little more) and to me that doesn't look like the lid did it.
I will give a proper update on Broken toe later. In maybe an hour or so more.
Edit: (I usually read over it three times before posting but I forgot this time) edited to fix grammar.

Broken toes status update march 25 2022 9:00am.
Her crop still feels squishy but feels like there is less water, her abdomen is still the same.
She had a poop today that had a lot more brown in it as well as what looked like dirt. She hasn't eaten or drank much today.
There is no discharge from her nose or eyes.
I made some sugar water for her and she hasn't drank any yet (she also isn't standing near the food and water rn) I did put the water and food near her beak but she didn't eat or drink so she isn't in the mood for food and water right at the moment I guess. I am planning on letting her outside again today I don't know how long I will let her be out there though. Outside yesterday was 55 degrees for almost the whole day and it is about the same today only problem is it was and is pretty windy. She has still been making her usual sounds. I may need to clean her butt feathers again they're starting to get poopy.
I think that is all.

Questions I have at the moment.
1. What do you do to get rid of the adhesive from those stickers that stores put on plastic buckets and things of the like. When my mom got the chicken elixir she also got two plastic buckets that are supposed to be for water for the chickens outside (we need more watering spots (DUCKS). But the adhesive from the stickers that they put in on the bottom of the containers is hard to get off and I am not sure if the adhesive stuff is safe to be on the container holding their water.
2. How many water containers do you think is a good amount for 8 ducks and 11 chickens?
3. How much wet feed (FF or just feed soaked for a few hours and what kind of feed do use for that) do you give your chickens or ducks if any at all? I just want to get a better idea on how to do things and what is usually done and a way to come up with my own way of doing things to.
I think that's it.
I believe Broken toe appreciates all the get well wishes or whatever you wish to call them. (If she could read or understand english or any language for that matter).
Thank you, for reading this and any suggestions. :)
Edited to fix grammar, I like to make sure everything is spelled correctly.

Last edited:
Broken toe is outside now, I didn't get any pictures this time, I think the next time I go out there I might get pictures of her interacting with the flock if she does at all. Curious one of the older hens picked on Broken toe a few times while I was out there watching her. So hopefully she doesn't get beat up, I don't think she will. The rooster also likes to try hopping on her as well. I made sure broken toes food was out there and her sugar water. She drank a lot of plain water from the containers outside and some of the sugar water when I was out there watching her. I forgot to feel her crop before I came back inside.
Edit: I took these pictures before taking her outside.
20220325_121022_HDR.jpg

20220325_121046.jpg

And this is the jelly jar that has been mentioned in posts prior to this one. It is soaking the feed for tomorrow. Does the feed in there look like it should for when it is soaking? It has only been soaking for the last 3 three hours maybe.
20220325_121034.jpg

The red bucket one of the containers I want to use for the chickens and ducks water as you can probably see it has the sticker on it still. I took the sticker on the other one off but a little bit of the adhesive is still on it, it is being used for water right now. But I let it soak for a day or so in water with a little bit of dish soap.

Last edited:
Broken toes status update march 25 2022 9:00am.
Her crop still feels squishy but feels like there is less water, her abdomen is still the same.

1. What do you do to get rid of the adhesive from those stickers that stores put on plastic buckets and things of the like. When my mom got the chicken elixir she also got two plastic buckets that are supposed to be for water for the chickens outside (we need more watering spots (DUCKS). But the adhesive from the stickers that they put in on the bottom of the containers is hard to get off and I am not sure if the adhesive stuff is safe to be on the container holding their water.
2. How many water containers do you think is a good amount for 8 ducks and 11 chickens?
3. How much wet feed (FF or just feed soaked for a few hours and what kind of feed do use for that) do you give your chickens or ducks if any at all? I just want to get a better idea on how to do things and what is usually done and a way to come up with my own way of doing things to.
I think that's it.
Are you giving her food and water late at night? How many hours is it between her last eating/drinking session at night and then when you check in the morning?

I think the elixer is probably fine, looks like the little cardboard seal has come out of the cap. Sometimes that happens. If the elixer is in date (does it have an expiration date), then use it, see if she likes it.

Those stickers on plastics are a pain! You can try applying a little oil to the sticker and let it sit for a while, see if that helps take it off.

I don't know about Ducks! They probably would like a lot water water containers:)
Maybe 3 at minimum for the many ducks and chickens, but it's a guess on my part.

As for how much feed to soak, you will have to play with the amount. I would start with a small amount and adjust up or down. I provide dry pelleted feed free choice during the day along with soaked feed. I use hanging cups for my feed, so make enough wet feed to put out during the day. I may have some left over in the bucket at the end of the day which is ok, I just add a little more feed and water, then soak overnight. Wash your bucket at least once a week and your feed bowls too.

Are you giving her food and water late at night? How many hours is it between her last eating/drinking session at night and then when you check in the morning?

I think the elixer is probably fine, looks like the little cardboard seal has come out of the cap. Sometimes that happens. If the elixer is in date (does it have an expiration date), then use it, see if she likes it.

Those stickers on plastics are a pain! You can try applying a little oil to the sticker and let it sit for a while, see if that helps take it off.

I don't know about Ducks! They probably would like a lot water water containers:)
Maybe 3 at minimum for the many ducks and chickens, but it's a guess on my part.

As for how much feed to soak, you will have to play with the amount. I would start with a small amount and adjust up or down. I provide dry pelleted feed free choice during the day along with soaked feed. I use hanging cups for my feed, so make enough wet feed to put out during the day. I may have some left over in the bucket at the end of the day which is ok, I just add a little more feed and water, then soak overnight. Wash your bucket at least once a week and your feed bowls too.
I have about for water containers out there right now and a bucket for the ducks to swim in. This picture was from a a couple weeks ago. The ducks always make a mess of most of the containers with in minutes. So I have been wanting there to be more not only so the chickens can have fresh clean water but so they can actually get water (the ducks hog it all most of the time).
20220309_095547_HDR.jpg

I will remember to look at the time before trying to get Broken toe to eat the next time as well as look at the time when I put food near her so she can eat when she feels like it (during the day). And remember the time any time I see her eat or drink as well. And I usually check her crop around 9:00am. I will get a piece of paper and try to remember to right down all the info that I gather about her crop and what not.
I was thinking the elixir would be fine too but wanted to double check, the seal isn't one of those cardboard things that are at the top of lids so Idk.

Back
Top Bottom