My old hen has lime green poop on her feathers below her vent

Pics
I just offered some fresh wet feed to Broken toe and She ate more than she has in the last few days she also seemed to have more energy because she ate pretty fast. I think the sugar water helped and me making sure she got some food today as well. Should I offer some of the chicken e-lixir stuff to her With fresh water?
Here is a picture of Broken toe after she ate just a bit ago.
20220322_195946_HDR.jpg
20220322_195957.jpg

I don't know anything about the chicken elixir-maybe do a little research on it but offer that and fresh in the meantime.
Yeah, same here I have never seen anyone on BYC use it and have never heard of it before. I looked at all the ingredients on the bottle and didn't see anything that looked bad. The only thing in the ingredients that I don't know what it is, is xanthan gum, hemicellulose extract.
20220322_202119.jpg

I will offer fresh water and sugar water until I have done research on the e-lixir thing.

Xantham gum is a binder. Its used in the same way gluten is but I don't know about the other. I don't think it will hurt her. I think the vitamin d is there to help calcium absorption and the oregano is for respiratory health. I give my girls something similar when the weather is bad or they're stressed from a road trip-its a powder called Dura-stat that has salt and citric acid, oregano, rosemary and sage. It stimulates water consumption. Once a hen is hydrated she's more apt to eat as well I believe

Glad to see she's eating and drinking a bit.
Checking her crop when she's been eating and drinking, it should feel a bit squishy like there's food/water in it.
Re-check again first thing in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink.
She should be acclimating to the indoor temps.

As I mentioned in previous posts. The poop is not normal. Likely she has some type of reproductive problem that is taking it's tole on her. Keep offering her supportive care like you are doing and see how it goes.

Look her over for lice/mites, make sure her crop is emptying overnight.
Encourage her to eat/drink. Feel her abdomen below the vent between her legs for bloat or swelling.

At that age, there can be a number of things that affect hens. They can start having reproductive problems like cancer or tumors.

The poop is not normal. It reminds me of what I've seen in hens that have reproductive problems. Hard to know which one unless you lose them and a necropsy is performed.

She ate just a little bit more food and hasn't really drank the plain water yet. But the last two times she has eaten she had more "vigour?" (Is that the right word to use Idk whatever). And her most recent poop had some brown poop in it most of it was green but there was a bit of the darker stuff that was brown I wish I got a picture of it but couldn't before I cleaned it up.
Edit: forgot to mention the state of her crop, smh. I have felt her crop about five times today, and every time it felt a bit squishy like you described it should.

Last edited:
Okay, Broken toe is all locked up for the night. I had to pick her up and put her back in the carrier I think she wanted to stretch her legs. The status of her crop after I locked her in the carrier which was at about 11:13pm is full and squishy (she ate a lot and drank). I did not feel her abdomen before locking her up for the night probably should have. My room is 68 degrees as I am writing this. When she last pooped was a hour or so before I locked her up. I think I am forgetting to say something else about her state as of right now but cant think of it.
20220322_224822.jpg

20220322_225316_HDR.jpg
20220322_230520.jpg
20220322_231045_HDR.jpg

I have been talking to her when I interact with her, I tell her she is pretty and she is a good chicken, I ask her what she is doing. I tell her what I am going to do when I leave the room to go get something for her and or do something for the rest of the flock outside, I say how long it will take for me to be back and I tell her goodnight. I make sure I talk to her so she can feel comfortable with me when she is in recovery. And she makes sounds every now and then to soo figured I would talk back. I don't think the sounds are to respond to me of course.

Broken toes status update march 23 2022 9:00am.
My rooms tempt is 64 degrees the coldest in the last hour was 59.
Her crop did not empty over night it still feels about the same as last night. Her abdomen feels swollen I think it at least feels full. She pooped about six times after I locked the carrier up. The dark green part of the poops are starting to look normal. She hasn't drank or ate anything as I am writing this (because I don't have food out for her yet. And I guess she doesn't want water right now). I have looked for lice/mites on her and haven't found any. She doesn't have discharge from her nose eyes. She has been making her chicken sounds here and there which I believe is good because she doesn't make sounds that would tell you she is distressed. Unless she makes those sounds. I think I covered everything for her status as of 9:00am (I am going to round up the time 9:00am when I am only talking about a specific hour. I hope this makes sense).
1.These are Questions I have as of right now.
2.Should I feel her vent again?
3.Do I need to let her get direct sunlight at least for a little bit? (In the house of course).
4.How should I make her feel like there is other chickens around so she isn't lonely (If I should at all)?
5.if I don't need to give her direct sun for a little bit then since she has more energy as of right now should I make a spot for her to walk around a little?
6.how should I clean a glass jar that has the cooking oil spray stuck to it? (It was in the cupboard for a few years which is above the stove so it has a bit of a greasy feel) So I can safely use it to hold Broken toes food.
7.should I ferment her feed or at last make a small batch for when she is better? I don't know how long it will take for her to get better (as I am sure many of you prob don't know when she will get better as well).
I think that is all my questions, Thank you.
Broken tie pooped just now and is sleeping.
She was preening herself just a bit ago.
20220323_090708.jpg

Just a few minutes after I took the door off the carrier she stuck her head out.
20220323_085325_HDR.jpg

Attachments

• 20220323_090030_HDR.jpg
    20220323_090030_HDR.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220323_090104_HDR.jpg
    20220323_090104_HDR.jpg
    237.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220323_090043_HDR.jpg
    20220323_090043_HDR.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220323_090713.jpg
    20220323_090713.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220323_090705.jpg
    20220323_090705.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220323_090012.jpg
    20220323_090012.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 3
2.Should I feel her vent again?
3.Do I need to let her get direct sunlight at least for a little bit? (In the house of course).
4.How should I make her feel like there is other chickens around so she isn't lonely (If I should at all)?
5.if I don't need to give her direct sun for a little bit then since she has more energy as of right now should I make a spot for her to walk around a little?
6.how should I clean a glass jar that has the cooking oil spray stuck to it? (It was in the cupboard for a few years which is above the stove so it has a bit of a greasy feel) So I can safely use it to hold Broken toes food.
7.should I ferment her feed or at last make a small batch for when she is better? I don't know how long it will take for her to get better (as I am sure many of you prob don't know when she will get better as well).
I think that is all my questions, Thank you.
Broken tie pooped just now and is sleeping.
She was preening herself just a bit ago.
I wouldn't feel inside her vent. The yellowish urates tell a tale. I've seen that in hens that have reproductive problems and start having a swollen abdomen.

Letting her get up, move about, enjoy some sunshine...all that is a very good idea. If it's warmed up outside, she may enjoy going out to be with the flock for a few hours as well - use your judgement on that.
Just talking to her and caring for her like you are doing should be a comfort to her. You're doing a good job.

Give her the wet feed. Fermenting, you can do that if you wish. I just usually soak feed overnight and my hens love it, but you can leave it soaking for a few days if you wish. Just do your research on how it's done.

I would give her some coconut oil twice a day. See if that helps the crop to empty.

To clean a greasy jar. Give the jar a soak in hot water with dish soap. Give it a wash up. For stubborn stuck on grease, you may have to soak more than once.

I wouldn't feel inside her vent. The yellowish urates tell a tale. I've seen that in hens that have reproductive problems and start having a swollen abdomen.

Letting her get up, move about, enjoy some sunshine...all that is a very good idea. If it's warmed up outside, she may enjoy going out to be with the flock for a few hours as well - use your judgement on that.
Just talking to her and caring for her like you are doing should be a comfort to her. You're doing a good job.

Give her the wet feed. Fermenting, you can do that if you wish. I just usually soak feed overnight and my hens love it, but you can leave it soaking for a few days if you wish. Just do your research on how it's done.

I would give her some coconut oil twice a day. See if that helps the crop to empty.

To clean a greasy jar. Give the jar a soak in hot water with dish soap. Give it a wash up. For stubborn stuck on grease, you may have to soak more than once.
Okay, thank you. I wasn't sure if dish soap would have been a good idea. I was thinking along lines of just letting it soak for the night or whatever I just don't have anything to store her food inside the house that won't encourage mice or anything to come in the house and I don't want to go to the breezeway every time I need a little handful so I thought that the glass jar would work and it is a jelly jar so it isn't very big it can hold the amount of feed she is currently eating in three days. Broken toe has been wanting to wander. I had to have my sister watch her while I went to feed the rest of the chickens and ducks. She is mostly sleeping and is slow about her wandering but she does try walking around.
This is her right now, I had to put her back onto the bucket because when I was feeding the rest the chickens she hopped down.
20220323_104350_HDR.jpg

There is has been gusts of wind up to like 25-30mph today and the sun is out but it isn't that warm yet my room has been staying about 61 to 64 I think outside is about 30 something degrees and if you add the wind to that it will feel colder. So I will pay attention to the tempts and weather outside today and however long I need to. But I can just let her sit in the sun in my living room for a bit. Only thing is the living room is 74 degrees most of the time and no matter how long I leave My door open the heat from the living room will only make My room get to 70 I don't think a four degree difference would be much of a problem. My bedroom doesn't get direct sunlight.

Back
Top Bottom