1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My ornament ducks

Discussion in 'Ornamental Fowl (Swans, etc.)' started by cajunfowl0, Jan 6, 2015.

1. cajunfowl0

cajunfowl0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Louisiana
    Just thought id post some pictures of my new birds! They are chiloe widgeons so far I have these and ruddy shelducks but I plan on getting a lot of new birds this year![​IMG]

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    Nice!! I love waterfowl of any kind :)

1 person likes this.
  3. cajunfowl0

Dec 9, 2014
    Louisiana
    Yes I do too! Waterfowl are my favorite! Wgat kind do you raise?

4. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    well, right now i mostly do domestic ducks and geese, though i have had Canadian geese and mandarin ducks. I also used to have a pair of swans. I have Swedish (blue/black), pekins, crested, runners, muscovy, rouen, cayuga and khaki campbell ducks. I find waterfowl have much more personality than chickens...way funner :)

what do you have?

5. cajunfowl0

Dec 9, 2014
    Louisiana
    Wow! What kind of swans? Right now I have Muscovys blue and black, lots of bantams and wyndottes,peacocks, ruddy shelduck, guineas, and chiloe widgeons I used to have wood ducks but had to sell them

6. cajunfowl0

Dec 9, 2014
    Louisiana
    I also have geese and plan of getting a lot more exotics!

7. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    i had a pair of mute swans...interesting birds, very pretty. I don't have them anymore. I had to sell a lot of my birds when we moved, and am slowly building back up :)

I love ruddy shelducks! I have wanted one of those for a long time, they are really cool looking. What is their personality?

Of other birds i have lots of layers (like more than 15 different breeds), bantams (mostly cochins and millies, but have some silkies, japs, and game bantams). I also raise quail.

I plan to get some turkeys, pheasants, chukar, and ruddy shelducks (if i can find any).

8. cajunfowl0

Dec 9, 2014
    Louisiana
    Yes the ruddys have been one of my favorite breeds so far they are about the size of a muscovy female and as for personality they have great ones! My male is very talkative and one thing about them I like is that they are very clean birds for ducks!

9. cityfarmer12

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    that's cool! Makes me want them even more :) Where did you get yours? and how many do you have?

10. destinduck

destinduck obsessed with "ducks"

Mar 20, 2008
    n.w.FLORIDA
    Pretty widgeons. Good luck with em, I love the sounds they make.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by