My outdoor abittoir

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by Peruvian, Sep 18, 2011.

1. Peruvian

Peruvian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Vermont
    I've shared photos of my set up before, but I thought I would post some photos that I took today when we processed 25 more birds (we do between 50-60/yr for our own household).

Here's where they spend their first 3 weeks:

[​IMG]

Here's my hoop house tractor that the birds live in for 5 weeks:

[​IMG]

We use killing cones that hang from an A frame that protects shrubs in the winter:

[​IMG]

We use a turkey fryer for scalding and I built a Whizbang plucker about 4 years ago:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We set up an old sink and a slab of VT marble on saw horses for cleaning and butchering:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We use the shrink bags from Cornerstone Industries and complete the packaging in the kitchen. My wife parted out 6 birds as well:

[​IMG]

2. ladysfield

ladysfield Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Thank you for the great pictures and good ideas!

3. TriciaHowe

TriciaHowe Mother Hen

Nov 11, 2008
    Trenton, FL
    [​IMG] I am doing my 1st ones in November and love seeing pictures of peoples set-ups. Thanks for posting!

4. jenny_kap

jenny_kap Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Romania
    you have a very nice set up there [​IMG]

5. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the post...it is very informative......

6. QCFChicks

QCFChicks Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2011
    Great set up we plan on doing ours the first week in Nov. I am hoping to have a set up similar to yours built and in place by then. I also like the crate idea in the freezer never thought of that but will be usuing it for sure I am a organization nut. Thanks for the awesome post

7. brandislee

brandislee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2011
    Southern Minnesota
    Jealous! Love the setup, and wish I had 1) a helpful husband to do the killing for me (that's really the only barrier to me doing it myself...), and 2) the funding to build one of those pluckers! If I had those two things I would be SET!

8. Peruvian

Peruvian Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Vermont
    Quote:Even if you can't build a tub style plucker, certainly consider this or this.

9. KickinRocks

KickinRocks New Egg

Sep 19, 2011
    What are the dimensions of your brooder and your grow out pen. I have my first batch of 25 cornishX coming in a few weeks and I was just getting things put together today.

Looks like you got it dialed in and I love the sink (there water ran out to that?)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  10. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    ok the killing cone wall was a bit much for me.. [​IMG] whew... but I have 19 Cornish cross now . ( 4-h project). they are 3 weeks old yesterday their size and weight gain is just crazy.. and they are getting my coop stinky... [​IMG] so I was really glad to see that you put yours out at 3 weeks.. how big of a area do I need to have them outside of my coop in their own grow out pen? I have and area just making sure its large enough. IM lucky though we take them to the 4 h rep on the 20th of oct and they are processed then sent back home.. whew no killing cone.. yeahhhh...

with the meaties one thread said to feed broiler feed.. no one here has ever heard about it? can i use the game bird feed? its higher protein than chick starter?

thanks for the photo lesson.. [​IMG]

)O(
    Pink

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by